HybridZ

280z now running

Just picked up a 280z owner said it ran when parked 6 months ago said he had a mechanic friend look at it and said the pump was bad. I threw in a new pump and ran a power wire to it to get fuel to the rails she cranks but won't start and there is spark any ideas thanks!

121120111315.jpg?t=1323649196

Edited by MuhKaydenZ

Starting fluid would give you a hint and some hope. In addition to spark, the ECU has to fire the injectors to supply gas.

There are lots of threads out there about 280Zs that won't start. The 280Z EFI system seems to be "use it or lose it".

The Engine Fuel section in the FSM is an excellent read, full of explanations and test procedures. http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html

Starting fluid would give you a hint and some hope. In addition to spark, the ECU has to fire the injectors to supply gas.

There are lots of threads out there about 280Zs that won't start. The 280Z EFI system seems to be "use it or lose it".

The Engine Fuel section in the FSM is an excellent read, full of explanations and test procedures. http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html

Thank you for the link! I was looking and it says the pump should be running all the time when cranking and running but my pump is not. A friend said there was some t juncture at the alternator that you unhook and it will run all the time it could be I'm not getting enough pressure. Any one have any pics of this juncture I need to disconnect? I went out with a flash light but couldn't see any juncture to unhook thanks!

First off, I would check for spark. If there is spark, spray some carb cleaner or TB cleaner down into a vacuum port (makes it so you dont have to take apart your intake hose). If it fires up for a brief moment, you obviously have fuel injection problem. first of all I would check the injectors themselves because they could be the root of the issue. A grounded out injector will cause the PCM not to signal the injectors. Next I would hook up a noid (or make your own with a test light, jumper wires, and paperclips) light to the injector plug-ins, do you get a pulse? If so then you definitely have a fuel delivery issue regarding the pump and the lines surrounding it. If not, first I would make sure you have an oscillating signal at pin #1 on the ECU. The colored wiring diagram is available somewhere online and it is extremely valuable! It was my personal friend when diagnosing my Z. Definitely go with a systematic approach otherwise you will definitely miss things that could prove crucial. good luck!

Also, the Fuel injection relay is a critical component to whether the pump will run. I would make sure you check for proper operation, well after you take the systematic approach. seriously, dont go jumping around because I made that mistake in the past. Start from either side of the system. from the fuel pump in or from the battery out.

Turns out it was stupid and a fusable link wasn't getting full contact so I messed with it til it was connected and staying connected then it fired right up! drove it around got it up to temp doesn't leak a drop so stoked I only paid $500 for it wooohooo

Excellent!!! Unless you want to keep the original look, you should consider replacing the Fusable links (at least the block of four links) with Maxi fuses. I know when I replaced mine it eliminated current and future issues. Look it up, there are some sweet and inexpensive setups out there.