HybridZ

New S30 Owner

Well I recently acquired an a 1976 280z that had sat in a garage for 20 years. The rust monster is nearly absent from this car which forced me into buying the car despite being partial to the s130. It needs some work but for $400 I can't complain. The floor pans and rails are the cleanest I've ever seen on a Z. They look brand new actually. The battery tray is the only place any distinguishable rust is present. The only thing of any worry is the the passenger quarter panel.It had taken a hit in the early 80s and wasn't repaired to my satisfaction but thats what my new MIG welder is for. You can really see it in the alignment of the hatch. I'm quite pleased with my purchase and the hurricane rims sweetened the deal even more. This car made Christmas bare able considering the content of my previous post in the s130 section. What do you guys think :rolleyes:

post-11965-093589200 1324871967_thumb.jpg

post-11965-078492900 1324871985_thumb.jpg

post-11965-050324300 1324871996_thumb.jpg

post-11965-062920600 1324872009_thumb.jpg

Looks good now flip it for a profit! The hurricane wheels...well if you feel they sweetened the deal good for you.

All jokes aside for $400 it looks like you did good. Being a Houston car make sure it wasn't in a hurricane though, check the wiring etc to ensure it wasn't a flood car. Good luck with the project!

Its not a flood car. I checked that no worry the harness is fine and plus the car is out of my hometown Channelview which didn't have any water damage during Ike. I grew up helping my grandfather in the rebuild business so this should be easy if i can actually find time to work on it when not in Aggieland. Whats with the dislike of the hurricane rims their so old school plus tires are cheaper on a 14 in rim. I was looking for a complete set for my 280zx about a year ago; got lucky now. I think these new monstrous rims that seem to be the fad are the worse thing to hit the market. Just a way for rim and tire manufacturers to make a profit off kids. More sidewall and less rotational mass equals better performance.

Edited by tecreatta

Its not a flood car. I checked that no worry the harness is fine and plus the car is out of my hometown Channelview which didn't have any water damage during Ike. I grew up helping my grandfather in the rebuild business so this should be easy if i can actually find time to work on it when not in Aggieland. Whats with the dislike of the hurricane rims their so old school plus tires are cheaper on a 14 in rim. I was looking for a complete set for my 280zx about a year ago; got lucky now. I think these new monstrous rims that seem to be the fad are the worse thing to hit the market. Just a way for rim and tire manufacturers to make a profit off kids. More sidewall and less rotational mass equals better performance.

tires are cheaper, if you can find them... I used to have a set of those rims, loved them. Also, your last point is highly debatable...

Edited by Two80z4me

Nice deal on that car!

Just a way for rim and tire manufacturers to make a profit off kids. More sidewall and less rotational mass equals better performance.

A 16lb 14" wheel with $75 M+S rated tires is your idea of good performance? You honestly think bigger wheels came about (a while ago)to appeal to a market that has no money and not to fit large brakes that suit sticky summer/R tires? This is fascinating to me.

Kids have quite a bit more Money then you'd think. I didn't say anything about upgrading the brakes along with the rims. In a controlled experiment where everything is constant besides the size of the rim (same total combined tire and rim height) the smaller rim will theoretically perform better and put less jar on the drivetrain. Sidewalls absorb the initial shock of a launch. Remember the magnesium drag raidials of the 60s and 70s. I'm sorry but after riding in a 325i with 19 inch rims and one inch low profile tires I can tell you the car went from a luxury cruiser to a chuck wagon. The owner was much happier with the 16 inch rims that soon replaced the 19s 3 months later. Hell Chrysler redesigned their suspension within the last few years in order to accommodate the larger rims. Previous designs were suffering from front end damage. Big rims and the "performance" market around them are just a fad like baby moons and beauty rings. It's always about the green and aesthetics.

Edited by tecreatta

Good find! Your story is almost exactly like mine with my 70 240Z! Sat in a garage for 31 years (1980 inspection sticker) Paid $800 for it from the second owner. It's one of the cleanest, and definitely the straightest S30 I have ever seen.

Enjoy the ride!

Thank you the body lines really start to grow on you. It's a great little car.

Kids have quite a bit more Money then you'd think. I didn't say anything about upgrading the brakes along with the rims. In a controlled experiment where everything is constant besides the size of the rim (same total combined tire and rim height) the smaller rim will theoretically perform better and put less jar on the drivetrain. Sidewalls absorb the initial shock of a launch. Remember the magnesium drag raidials of the 60s and 70s. I'm sorry but after riding in a 325i with 19 inch rims and one inch low profile tires I can tell you the car went from a luxury cruiser to a chuck wagon. The owner was much happier with the 16 inch rims that soon replaced the 19s 3 months later. Hell Chrysler redesigned their suspension within the last few years in order to accommodate the larger rims. Previous designs were suffering from front end damage. Big rims and the "performance" market around them are just a fad like baby moons and beauty rings. It's always about the green and aesthetics.

are-you-serious-rage-face.jpg

-_-