HybridZ

Name this electrical component

I didnt want to start another "what's this" thread, but I couldnt find another generic one to piggy back onto.

Perhaps one could be made a sticky as I know these kind of questions get asked from time to time and it could become a graphical glossary of electrical components?

Anyhow, I am rewiring my 260Z and I have found a round plug that has 2 black ground wires, a black/yellow ignition switch wire and a green/yellow wire which leads to the guages. Going through my parts bin and general location of the plug (engine room side wall) I believe it must connect to the relay or similar looking device underneath my fusible link bracket next to the voltage regulator.

Any ideas what this is? I expected the black/yellow to run straight to the starter.

NOTE: This is a RHD car so wire colours may differ.

Thanks

post-356-056275800 1326025357_thumb.jpg

That looks like the seatbelt relay that prevents an A/T car from starting if the seatbelt is not buckled...

Thanks, thats an interesting idea.

My car is a manual but thats not to say that it wasnt perhaps born an auto.

Attached is a picture of the only plug in the area which looks like it fits. The wire count and colours do not line up, but it physically fits.

I'm particularly curious about this plug as I have traced the starter wire from the ignition switch to here and no where else. So if it does connect to this box, I dont know how the starter motor used to get the start signal.

It has 4 wires which I have traced as follows: Black x2 - Ground, Green/Yellow - Instrument gauges, Black/Yellow - Ignition switch (start)

post-356-001204100 1326063534_thumb.jpg

Edited by drunkenmaster

Thanks, thats an interesting idea.

My car is a manual but thats not to say that it wasnt perhaps born an auto.

Attached is a picture of the only plug in the area which looks like it fits. The wire count and colours do not line up, but it physically fits.

I'm particularly curious about this plug as I have traced the starter wire from the ignition switch to here and no where else. So if it does connect to this box, I dont know how the starter motor used to get the start signal.

It has 4 wires which I have traced as follows: Black x2 - Ground, Green/Yellow - Instrument gauges, Black/Yellow - Ignition switch (start)

post-356-001204100 1326063534_thumb.jpg

I found an in situation photo here if that helps identification:

http://www.viczcar.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=846&fullsize=1