HybridZ

Aftermarket senders & Fuel ECU

Fire604

This is probably a DUMB question but....

I'm replacing all my gauges with Speedhut gauges to include their oil pressure and coolant temp units. I see from the FSM that both of the stock sending units go to the EFI control unit. Also, the new units require the use of their sending units. So...

1. Will the elimination of the stock sending units for oil and temp cause a problem with the fuel EFI control?

2. If I use Speedhut's sending units, which must be of different current and/r resistance than stock, be OK?

3. Do I need to keep the stock senders in place and ADD the new ones just for the gauges? If yes, does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to do so?

Sorry for the multiple questions. I found many related threads but none touched on this issue. Thanks!!

• Administrators

It's only been two day's, Chief. Sit back, relax, and practice your Zen.

Since you have not mentioned what vintage car this is for, we are left guessing it's the '78 in your signature. If so, you have misinterpreted the FSM. The stock gauges have their own dedicated senders for both water temp and oil pressure. They are independent of the sensors for the EFI. I'll give you a hint... the water temp sender for the water temp gauge is a one-wire. The water temp sensor for the EFI is two-wire. There is a safety switch in the oil pressure sender that can be delt with different way's, but that is up to you. Go back and have another look.

It's only been two day's, Chief. Sit back, relax, and practice your Zen.

Since you have not mentioned what vintage car this is for, we are left guessing it's the '78 in your signature. If so, you have misinterpreted the FSM. The stock gauges have their own dedicated senders for both water temp and oil pressure. They are independent of the sensors for the EFI. I'll give you a hint... the water temp sender for the water temp gauge is a one-wire. The water temp sensor for the EFI is two-wire. There is a safety switch in the oil pressure sender that can be delt with different way's, but that is up to you. Go back and have another look.

Sorry, patience is not my strong suit but I'll work on it. ;)

You are correct that I am talking about my '78. Thanks for the info!

This is probably a DUMB question but....

I'm replacing all my gauges with Speedhut gauges to include their oil pressure and coolant temp units. I see from the FSM that both of the stock sending units go to the EFI control unit. Also, the new units require the use of their sending units. So...

1. Will the elimination of the stock sending units for oil and temp cause a problem with the fuel EFI control?

2. If I use Speedhut's sending units, which must be of different current and/r resistance than stock, be OK?

3. Do I need to keep the stock senders in place and ADD the new ones just for the gauges? If yes, does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to do so?

Sorry for the multiple questions. I found many related threads but none touched on this issue. Thanks!!

1. Yes - how will the EFI know what the temperature is? As TonyD stated there are two senders - one for the ECU and one for the gauge. For the oil the switch is a safety and the presure transducer is for the gauge.

2. Measure it then you'll know if they are different or not. Since the temp sensor is dedicated to the gauge you can change it out.

3. I recomend putting the sensors where they will read what you want to display on the gauges. As we all know there is no "best" way to do this ;P

You can look at my build as i used Autometer's pro comp ultra lights installed in the dash. Inspiration came from: www.4moores.com/280z/index.html (twards the bottom on the second padge)

This is a great write up on installing the guadges, i did it a little differently go get more of a stock apperance but basically the smae thing. the fuel gadge resistor will have to be added to get the gaudge right but that site covers it all enjoy! just use a T for the oil sensor and there is a plug in the manifild that i used to screw in my temp sensor.

Edited by surpip