HybridZ

Steering Query

So I am trying to find a RHD S30 so I can swap in an RB26DETT. I know there is clearance in the engine bay if I go LHD (seen it done here on this forum) but I live in the Cayman Islands and we drive on the left here. Also, I'm more partial to JDM anyway.

The search is still on for a RHD Z but I thought up something and wanted some opinions/facts.

From 280zjoel's topic about conversions (http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/84244-how-to-do-a-rhd-conversion/page__p__798333__hl__%2Brhd+%2Bconversion__fromsearch__1#entry798333) I will need these things:

Dash board

Heater and fan Assembly

Rack and Pinion

Steering shaft

Brake Lines

Wiper arms

Wiper motor

Wiper Linkage

Pedal Assembly

I've read the turning radius on a Z is less than adequate for certain applications and saw a few things on here about Subaru/Mazda steering columns. If I wanted to replace the Z steering with with one of these, I wouldn't need the RHD steering from an S30 correct? That is to say if I just modify the firewall on a LHD Z to accommodate the right hand steering rack of one of these other cars. Or is it that I will still need RHD steering components from a Z?

The next question is the pedal assembly. Are there other JDM pedal assemblies that can fit the Z in case I decide to go with a LHD shell and convert it?

I know that there maybe something I'm missing or forgetting, and I might be sounding really dumb to some of you guys right now, but the idea just popped into my head last night and I wanted to get some outside opinions.

Edited by GT-R345

Well it really depends on how much work you want to do and are capable of doing. If you remain stock and purchase a LHD shell to convert, you will have to move the BMC, booster, clutch, and all that over to the right, which would require cutting/reinforcing/welding/drilling, etc, usually why people just end up buying a RHD firewall. The heater and dash would have to be sourced from a RHD or else your steering column would end up in the glove box, basically everything on the list will be needed. You could reduce the problems if you used a stand alone pedal box, but that would be quite a bit of money.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the turning radius would change all that much from just the steering rack, the ratio might be lower so you would have to turn the steering wheel less for a given turn, but the turning circle would still max out at the same point as the tire would hit the TC rod. You could get the same effect by using shorter steering knuckles.