HybridZ

Vortex or LS1 heads?

Hello I hope this isnt a stupid question but im trying to build a sbc on a budget so i bought a short block and later bought some vortex heads and im planing on running a carb with it. I know edlebrock sells a intake that you can use with vortex heads and some kid at school today (im in a tech college for automotive) told me that they make intakes for ls1 heads that you can use a carb with. my question is should i keep using the vortex heads with a carb or should i try to pick up some ls1 heads and run those with a carb? is there any difference between the two if your not running efi? or have i fallen victim to a snake oil salemen? :unsure:

Ls1 heads do not bold up to a SBC so yeah id say you are a victim, altho world does make a casting for a LS style head to bolt on to a Gen1/2 block but they really are a solution to a problem that dosent exist. Vortec heads aren’t half bad tho. But they do make an intake so you can carb an LS motor (blasphemy to some) but they run pretty well.

Edited by surpip

• Administrators

The block is from a 1998 truck

Surprisingly, that doesn't help. 1998 was the one year you could get BOTH the Gen 2 AND the Gen 3 motors. Give us a picture and we can confirm what gen. you have. It might be a good idea to send a picture of the heads you're talking about, too.

According to the wiki, GenIII wasn't available in trucks until 99.

If you have a 98 engine, its a Gen 1

Even the techs at the shop I work at insist on calling my LM7 a 350.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevy_Silverado#Vortec_High_Output.2FVortec_Max

This says that the truck came out in 98 and didn't offer any of the gen 1 engines, but the articles on the engines all say they start at '99. So I don't know, take a pic.

Edited by letitsnow