HybridZ

Rear end whine

1flabadz

I bought a 4.11, R180 on Ebay, replaced the bearings and it's making a nasty whine, especially under load at high speeds. I've replaced all the u joints and mustache bar bushings, also the rear wheel bearings, so I'm thinking that maybe the rear end may need to be shimmed to tighten the gears up. 'Specially 'cause I've also got a nasty clunk when I tap the accelerator in second gear. So, my question is ('cause I've never problem-solved a rear end problem before)- my questions are: how can I tell if shimming is necessary, or even possible? Will it solve the problem? Should I just hire a professional?

Clunks in a Datsun are almost never a result of loose backlash. Search "diff clunk" here and at www.classiczcars.com and you'll find lots of info on that. The whine is probably a bearing noise. Take it to a shop or better yet, find a new diff. Buying one that doesn't have problems will probably be cheaper than having that one fixed.