HybridZ

Front end Tubing

RB240zDET

Has anyone tubed their front end on their Datsun? I am considering this on my track 280z. I am wondering what all you removed from the front end and replaced with tubing. I am thinking cutting right in front of the shock tower down to the frame rail and stripping all the metal forward off. As I am going to use hood pin/latches to secure the hood I wont need any of the wheel well area for the stock hood hinges. I also am thinking of retaining the lower core support although I could remove that and weld in a straight rectangular bar to tie the left and right side frame rail into each other.

I pretty much copied his cage design with a few changes to the rear mounts behind the main hoop.

I plan to add a low front hoop under the dash at some point and then penetrate through the firewall to the strut towers and such up front.

I didn't want to add a halo or a-pillar bars as mine is a street car.

He has a pretty rock solid tubed front end IMHO and it would be a good basis to modify to fit your own needs. I won't be tubing, unless I suffer from a similar accident as he did :(

LOL your fabrication skills are far better than mine if you can throw something like that together in a week.

He did go through the firewall but he had a horizontal bar running just up under the top of the firewall and two vertical bars in each of the corners.

He tied his door bars into this. My only suggestion would be to run a continuous front hoop with bends at the corners instead of running the vertical bars to a horizontal bar like he did.

He has his front "hoop" in the engine compartment. Most of the others on here run theres inside the passenger compartment. I can see the justification for placing the hoop in the engine bay with a tube front end though. Shorter bars to tie into the tubed front end pieces means less leverage and stress on the joints.

Maybe someone with alot more knowledge than I can chime in.

Its kinda hard to see in his pics but take another look at the front frame connection photos where it lists all the sizes and you'll see what im talking about.

zChassispics010.jpgzChassispics001.jpgP1010554.jpg

See you can have one by next weekend!! It's in Orlando, just needs to be bought and picked up!!

That is my plan. I am the one who has been in contact with you recently today. Your car is amazing and well made. Hope to make a deal with you here soon actually.