HybridZ

What is good on an 89 300zx?

Just found an 89 300 that still has the 5 speed, motor, and R200 with axles, and hubs. Hoping to get a couple of quick answers so I can decide whether to play hookey from work Monday . . . :D

1. Will the 5 speed (FS5W71C) bolt up to my L28? Same length? Is the flywheel/clutch usable and better? I already have a 240mm turbo clutch.

2. Are the CV axles the right length, and can I use the companion flanges off the 300, or do I need it off an 83 turbo or something?

3. Can I use the front or rear hubs to do a 5 lug conversion?

Thanks for any input, I will be searching in the meantime! :)

Just found an 89 300 that still has the 5 speed, motor, and R200 with axles, and hubs. Hoping to get a couple of quick answers so I can decide whether to play hookey from work Monday . . . :D

1. Will the 5 speed (FS5W71C) bolt up to my L28? Same length? Is the flywheel/clutch usable and better? I already have a 240mm turbo clutch.

With a bellhousing swap, using one from a 71B, a shortened drive shaft and a modified transmission mount, the 71C should fit. There are a couple of good write-ups on it out there. The 89 300ZX should have the double synchro second gear going for it, which is nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Went out and got the tranny, and while I was under there, spun the diff over to see what it was - - - a 3.90!! Was really surprised, bought it too. It had JY paint pen on it, and a new mount. Was this the correct ratio for an 89 NA? Going back to get the front hubs too.