HybridZ

Tire vs power and weight?

There is no tire, other then a purpose built drag racing slick, that will give you "no spin" levels of traction with the horsepower you're talking about. My 325hp, 2,100 lb. 240Z could spin its 275/45-16 Hoosier R4s at will in 1st and most of 2nd gear if I tried. Build your engine with good throttle response, make sure your throttle linkage has plenty of travel and is smooth, run a good LSD, and learn how to drive the car.

Good point, and after re-reading my last post, I edited it to reflect what I meant (which was not what I wrote <_< ).

There is no tire, other then a purpose built drag racing slick, that will give you "no spin" levels of traction with the horsepower you're talking about. My 325hp, 2,100 lb. 240Z could spin its 275/45-16 Hoosier R4s at will in 1st and most of 2nd gear if I tried. Build your engine with good throttle response, make sure your throttle linkage has plenty of travel and is smooth, run a good LSD, and learn how to drive the car.

Good point, although to add to what you said... Where are you making that hp on the curve(rpm)? What amount of tq are you making and where is that coming in at? v8? l6? what transmission gearing do you have? Rear differential gearing? What kind of suspension?

Also out of curiosity with have you run in the 1/4 mi with that car to date? (just to compare power to weight to your setup etc)

Great info you guys, its much appreciated, it is quite obvious why you guys are admins.

Are we talking about a cold street tire or a racing slick on a track at normal warm operating temp?Yes i have spun off at infineon with cold tires in turn 2.I have installed wider low profile street tires on car for people(better looks) and the car had less traction on the street than with the old 60 series tires.Becauase my z is sprung stiff for a road course I run 215/60-15 at 25 psi on the street .the tires are acting as part of the suspension.I tried running my 225/50-15 kumho track slicks on an autocross couse once and I could not get them hot enough to work.My opinion is that the extreme low profile tire looks good but wont always get you the most traction in a daily driver street situation.Thats why drag radials have side walls on them-as the deform under torque the contact patch gets bigger.

Edited by randy 77zt

Something else you could add into this discussion is rotational weight/mass.

I = mr². I=Inertia, m=mass(kg), and r=radius

Additionally, the farther from center that mass is along the radius, the more HP is required to get it rolling and maintain the inertia. Goes for both wheel and tire in combination.