HybridZ

SCCA front re-inforcement of the firewall

I started 3 threads in 2 days.. I feel like I should condense them.. but they are all different topics..

Quick question..

Some of the rules in the SCCA state:

B. The cage shall attach to the car at no more than 8 points, consisting of the basic cage with 6 attachment points, and 2 additional braces.

The forward part of the cage shall be mounted to the floor of the vehicle.

C. In addition, the 2 optional braces referred to in (B) may be mounted, one on either side, from the forward section of the cage to the firewall or front fender wells. No braces shall pass through the front firewall.

Soo.. using an example of Jon's cage..

DSCN1704.jpg

Is this legal since it passes through the firewall? Should I simply weld a flat plate of steel against the firewall and weld the tube flush against it?

Edited by proxlamus©

Keep in mind that that SCCA has road race cage rules that are category specific. Showroom Stock, Touring, Super Touring, and Improved Touring categories do not allow any bracing forward of the firewall. Production, Super Prodcution, and GT categories do allow forward bracing. Also, every region has a "run what you brung" class generally called ITE. In that class you can mostly do what you want as long as you're running on DOT-R tires. Check the supplemental regulations for the region you compete in to be sure.

Keep in mind that that SCCA has road race cage rules that are category specific. Showroom Stock, Touring, Super Touring, and Improved Touring categories do not allow any bracing forward of the firewall. Production, Super Prodcution, and GT categories do allow forward bracing. Also, every region has a "run what you brung" class generally called ITE. In that class you can mostly do what you want as long as you're running on DOT-R tires. Check the supplemental regulations for the region you compete in to be sure.

Well that makes me fell better that there is a class where I can run my car and not worry about if my cage conforms. As when the cage was built SCCA was not in mind...

Well, your cage needs to conform with the basic construction requirements in the GCR. Download the rule book from here: http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/2012GCR-updatedJanuary3.pdf and read section 9.4 in depth. At a minimum you'll need 1.5" OD x .095" wall DOM tubing and there are specs for mail hoop, door hoop, door protection, plating, gussets, etc. Regardless of the class you run you have to meet the basic minimum cage requirements.

What class are you building for? This will dictate what level of prep. That seam welding will be also illegal for some classes. That being said a good idea would be to contact you local region of SCCA and get one of the tech inspectors involved they will be a good source for what you can and cannot do also they will be the the one to issue you a log book for the car, which is required to race, it will save you a lot of pain and possiblely rewelding/cutting out parts. I have heard some horror stories from people who build a cage to find out they would need to redo most of it in order to be "legal" to race.

Another source to race is NASA though I am not sure what classes they have for the Z though.