HybridZ

Surface rust on head gasket surface

TurboSE

So I had my RB rebuilt and in the time it's taken me to acquire my head parts, some very minor rust has "grown" on the head gasket surface of the block. I was wondering what was the safest way to remove this. Some PB Blaster on a rag and some elbow grease has made progress, but I was wondering if something like CLR would work better. I've read that abrasives (plastic scotch-brite pads) are a bad idea. Any thoughts? After I get it clean, should I wipe it down with some WD40 or something to stop it from coming back until my head is finished?

Kerosene / Diesel / Light Oil, and a light Fine Arkansas Stone of 6-8" length should work great for cleaning the surface rust, and show you any true high or low points in the process.

Is this a BLOCK we are talking about, or a SHORT BLOCK (with pistons installed?)

If you have pistons in there, grease the crowns so whatever lubricant you use doesn't get down inside them, after which cleanup with brake cleaner or other light solvent should be quite easy.

Kerosene / Diesel / Light Oil, and a light Fine Arkansas Stone of 6-8" length should work great for cleaning the surface rust, and show you any true high or low points in the process.

Is this a BLOCK we are talking about, or a SHORT BLOCK (with pistons installed?)

If you have pistons in there, grease the crowns so whatever lubricant you use doesn't get down inside them, after which cleanup with brake cleaner or other light solvent should be quite easy.

It's a short block. Where do I find an Arkansas stone, I'm unfamiliar with these?

Knife Store, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, Sporting Goods Store, Industrial Supply, just about anywhere. You use them for sharpening knives...

Millwrights use them to 'stone gasket surfaces'---basic millwright practice. "Stone all gasket surfaces whilst cleaning"--use of the stone shows off high spots, knocks down nicks, and cleans the surface to a nice surface finish that will hold a gasket better than one that is highly polished.

Black Hard Arkansas

White Soft Arkansas Stone

What the HELL is a Millwright?

Knife Store, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, Sporting Goods Store, Industrial Supply, just about anywhere. You use them for sharpening knives...

Millwrights use them to 'stone gasket surfaces'---basic millwright practice. "Stone all gasket surfaces whilst cleaning"--use of the stone shows off high spots, knocks down nicks, and cleans the surface to a nice surface finish that will hold a gasket better than one that is highly polished.

Black Hard Arkansas

White Soft Arkansas Stone

What the HELL is a Millwright?

thanks, never called them that. The surface is machined now (not polished), still recommend this method?