HybridZ

Fuel Surge Tank/Swirl Pot

zack_280

I'm going to look into having a local shop fab a surge tank to put in the battery compartment. I was wondering if anyone else would be interested. I do not know what the pricing will be yet. Hopefully less than the ATL model that Summit sells. See the picture for what I had in mind. It is basically similar to the ATL model, but shortened to fit in the battery tray. I had to call ATL for the dimensions, but it was just a little too tall. Comments are welcome.

SurgeTank.png

24OZ,

Not a bad idea. I thought about it, but I figured with the current fuel system plumbing on my car it would be easier to relocate the battery. It fit nicely on the ledge behind the passenger seat. And the seat goes all the way back and reclines (it's a 240SX seat at the moment). It took me about 3 hrs to relocate and rewire the battery, so it's not too bad of a job. I did get an optima battery and I found an aluminum battery tray on the interwebs. The surge tank should mount on the battery tray, so it should be a fairly easy install too (I hope). Ultimately I'm doing this for my car, I just figured I'd throw it out there and see if anyone else was trying to do something similar.

JSM,

I saw that thread last week after I contacted a local shop. It is pretty similar and depending on what the local shop says (I talked to him a minute ago and he's supposed to be calling me right back) I may contact the guy in the other thread. I'm planning to leave the battery tray in the car and I wanted it to be about a 1L tank. So mine's going to use 4" aluminum tubing and have a 5" base.

Edited by zack_280

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I never heard back from the local shop after 4 phone calls and an e-mail. Some of my other friends offered other possible places to go to do some fab work locally, but I decided to stop playing machine shop roulette and just bought the ATL unit from Summit.