HybridZ

KYB sectioned struts on 72 240z

okay i honestly didn't want to bother by posting this. But as the title says, KYB sectioned struts on 72 240z. Has anyone sectioned their struts using KYB inserts. I bought GC coil overs and I wasn't going to section my struts but I've decided that i am, so i can avoid any problems. I've research my butt off and i know you have to cut your strut in half and remove some from the top piece but all i have found was people that have sectioned their struts using Tokico, Koni..ETC. I came across this post http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/80294-front-end-set-up/page__p__761833__hl__%2Bkyb+%2Bsectioned+%2Bstrut__fromsearch__1#entry761833 but it wasn't a write up on how he sectioned it. all he stated was that he sectioned

1 7/8 but on the other hand he has a 280z.

So my question is.... has anyone done a write up on sectioned struts using KYB inserts on a 72 240z?

Sorry for the bother.

There's no need for another write up really. The process is the same, the only difference is what insert you use. You just have to find KYB inserts that are shorter than stock. I'd imagine they, just like Tokico, make one for the rear of the MR2 that you could use for the front, then use your KYB front struts in the rear of your Z. I'd measure directly how much length to take out of the housing.

Personally, I feel that KYB is a lower end strut. My dad has a set in his z31, I don't feel that they're any better than stock and I've had to replace several of them. I'd go with tokico blues over anything KYB for a cheaper insert, but if going through the effort of sectioning struts, I'd go with the best possible. It's a ton of work to do in the first place.

I like my bilsteins, no complaints at all.

Section your strut tubes so those inserts will fit and you'll have a good starting point. In other words, yes, those will work.

Joe

Sweet!

Thanks for the confirmation Rags. Looks like i'm going to be ordering MR2 (AW11) tokico rear struts and 240z tokico front struts pretty soon.