HybridZ

Door Fitment

I recently purchased a '74 260Z to bring back to life. The body is in great shape overall, but will definitely need some work. What's plaguing me the most right now is the fitment of the driver side door. It clearly doesn't align the same as the passenger side.

For example, the vertical metallic trim between the door window and the rear window have a gap substantially wider than the passenger side (and most other Z's I've seen).

The same area seems out of whack from nearly every angle, as is evident in the pictures. It doesn't seem to be a door adjustment/tweaking issue though, nor does it seem to just be a poor installation of trim. Any thoughts on what may cause this? Feel free to contradict my assumptions about what it doesn't seem to be.

Ignore the dirt and bird poop.

i-sWnBxBK-M.jpg

i-R7CCtvC-M.jpg

i-BGK2jBz-M.jpg

Most likely the widow frame needs to be adjusted. Remove the door panel to expose the bolts that secure the stainless steel window frame. There are bolts on the front and rear door edges as well as on the inner facing panel. Loosen all of the bolts and move the frame around until you get the best fit then snug the bolts down. If the frame doesn't move then you have missed a bolt. Be sure to test that the window rolls up/down freely and fits in the frame. Just play with it until everything fits.

Buy this book if you intend on owning a 240Z,260Z or 280Z: How to Restore your Datsun Z-Car by Wick Humble. It explains, in detail, how to completey take apart and re-assemble a 240Z etc. Available at Motor Sports Auto (MSA) or at Black Dragon. This book will save you hours of research.

Most likely the widow frame needs to be adjusted. Remove the door panel to expose the bolts that secure the stainless steel window frame. There are bolts on the front and rear door edges as well as on the inner facing panel. Loosen all of the bolts and move the frame around until you get the best fit then snug the bolts down. If the frame doesn't move then you have missed a bolt. Be sure to test that the window rolls up/down freely and fits in the frame. Just play with it until everything fits.

Buy this book if you intend on owning a 240Z,260Z or 280Z: How to Restore your Datsun Z-Car by Wick Humble. It explains, in detail, how to completey take apart and re-assemble a 240Z etc. Available at Motor Sports Auto (MSA) or at Black Dragon. This book will save you hours of research.

Many thanks Miles. I'll be ordering the book ASAP!