HybridZ

260z in-tank fuel pump

postman

After a bit of searching and reading on what everyone else was running for fuel pumps i decided to run this guy. I found a thread that talked about this kit from tanks.com and it did look like it would work for me so i got it.

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0361-Copy.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

I should have this done by the end of the weekend but im in no rush so what do you guys think?

You're not going to be able to use those fitting at the top of the cap, they won't be accessible once you put your tank up.

Instead, plug those at the top of the cap and run AN hardware where your stock feed and return lines were. Then, route your feed to one of those AN fitting to go to your fuel rail and just have the return dump somewhere into the tank.

Voila.

But yes, very nice!

Postman:

Tried tanks.com and got a commercial or farm tank site. Please reply with an Email for the kit that you have pictured as I am very interested in it. Thanks. Please advise.

Probably Tanksinc.com

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=84/category_id=61/home_id=61/mode=prod/prd84.htm

Another vendor: http://www.massfloefi.com/fuel-supply-system/individual-fuel-delivery-parts/walbro-255-liter-per-hour-external-fuel-pump-234.html

Boyracer:

Thanks much for the links. Questions: How was a perfectly round hole made in the top of the tank? How was the round threaded plate installed and sealed to the tank? Is the threaded plate supplied with the fuel pump a two piece item? Very interested in this approach to adding a EFI fuel pump and outlet and return fittings to the Datsun fuel tank. Please advise. Thanks.

Boyracer:

Thanks much for the links. Questions: How was a perfectly round hole made in the top of the tank? How was the round threaded plate installed and sealed to the tank? Is the threaded plate supplied with the fuel pump a two piece item? Very interested in this approach to adding a EFI fuel pump and outlet and return fittings to the Datsun fuel tank. Please advise. Thanks.

rsicard: Install instructions from the Tanksinc site: http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=article/article_ID=6/art6.htm

Postman: any updates? Really interested to hear how you made out with this and maybe a few more details about your fuel system.

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

Well i got it all in there and its now resting just above the bottom of the tank. The sender clears and should have no problem. With the lines on the top it sits a bit taller than the spacer blocks that were there before but i have a solution for this.

• 4 weeks later...

Or you could modify the floor and create an access panel. This would greatly reduce the work if you need to service the pump in the future.

Well after looking at what i had i decided a access panel would do. In the picture you can see that i used the same hole saw as i did for the tank. I really had to cut the hole because when the tank is in position the lines are in the car. I do plan to make it a bit longer then i have a panel for the hole and i should be able to make it look very close to a stock access panel. Winter is finally buggering off so i can get more stuff done one the car and get that rb in soon.

IMG_0413.jpg

I should have this done by the weekend if time allows.

Well i got the hard lines in the car just have to do all the braided lines later. I also just happened to stumble across this access panel from a late Grand-prix. There are a few things i want to touch up still but so far its all coming together nicely. I warn you all that the bends in my fuel lines aren't the best looking since this is the first time i have done this. More pictures to come soon and maybe i should start a build thread...

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

I made new insulator rubber pads for the top of my tank with rubber blocks that I found in the 4X4 suspension section of O'Reilly's parts store. and I installed all the lines to the top of the tank before installing it (thank goodness there have been no leaks). I recommend that you leak test your tank before installing your tank for the last time by filling it up and turning it in all directions. Mine leaked like a mother from the big Tanks gasket surface and I put 15 gallons of 93-octane down my street (the stain is really big). I also recommend capping off some of the extra vent holes in your tank (I just fill the tank slowly and filling it is not a big deal). All those vent lines make installing the tank a real pain. I now have only one vent line to fight. If you make thicker insulator pads, you will have to lengthen your fuel tank mounting straps. These tanks fit REALLY tight. I had a lot of trouble getting my new rubber filler neck to slide onto the tank. Grease it and tilt the driver side of the tank down while you cram the passenger side of the tank up. If you get a good seal on your filler tube, tighten the big hose clamp, then raise the driver side of the tank, which will stretch the rubber fill tube, but it is rubber and has planned points of flexibility.