HybridZ

New member, Supercharger-EFI Q.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi guys, I just found you forum off of the Z-home site and have joined. It's great to have a forum for one of the most awesome car mods out there, the Ford V-8 Z-car. I have a '75 280Z that I put a 302 into back in 1990 (I also bought the JTR manual). It has undergone much modification (and sucked down alot of money) since then. The block, lower end, and accessories (including functioning a/c) are from a '79 'stang. The trans is a T-5 from and '86 'stang with a hyd. clutch. I love doing engine conversions as I have also done since then a 327 chevy into a Porsche 914 and a Toyota 20R into an Opel GT. My next swap will be a Camry V6 into a '91 MR2. As for the Z, I will be taking it to the next level soon so I have a couple of questions:

Has anyone put a centrifugal supercharger kit on a their 5.0V8-Z? The one I'm thinking of the Powerdyne 9psi for 87-93 Mustang. Will this kit fit with some modifications? It mounts to the right side of the engine and appears like it would go. My motor is set all the way back in the engine compartment for good weight balance. As for induction (I am carbed right now) I was thinking about a TFS Track Heat manifold, 30lb injecters, and a Holley Commander 950 ECU system (which is speed-density) to control it all. Does anyone know is a TFS EFI manifold will fit under the hood (my Torker II - Holley 600 set up is kinda tight).

Thanks, Don

------------------

'75 280Z: 302 Ford from '79 Mustang with York a/c; Holley 2-piece 600dp; Edel Torker II manifold & cam; TFS heads; custom dual cowl induction; Crane Hi-6 ignition; '86 T-5 w/ Tildon/Neal hyd. clutch; Griffin Alum rad.; Tokico/Koni adj. struts; Ureathane bushings; 1" sway bar; '85 Maxima vented front rotors with '88 Toyota truck 4-piston calipers; '79 280ZX rear disc brakes.

'70 240Z: Dual DGV Webers

Welcome Don, I think most would agree the Powerdyne isn't the most reliable system and their boost claims are somewhat inflated. I'm biased towards ATI. They cover all the bases from mild to wild.

JS

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited March 18, 2001).]

Guest Anonymous

Just wondering if you have any plans to say make a website about the v8 conversion on your zcar? I know I lot of people would like info on motor mount measurements etc. And how you solved all of the small problems.

Before you get too wild with that car check out the bottom end. I believe the 79's used CAST pistons and a pretty low compression ratio. Unless you've gone through it I'd be careful about using forced induction. As for the Powerdyne - I'd not touch it! I've met too many people who have trashed the little rubber belt inside. I like ATI quite a bit but a used Vortech would work well too and can be pretty easily found if you're not looking to make super power.

Can't help you on the intake but you might also investigate having your existing manifold converted to EFI. smile.gif 30lb injectors should be pretty good for that setup IMO.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, I've heard the negative about Powerdyne, mainly about belt breakage. In keeping with the sleeper nature of a V8-Z, I want something quiet, and the Powerdyne is the most quiet. I've heard about the helical gear 'super quiet' blowers from Vortech, but I think it's like an extra thou' for them. I've also heard stories of problems & bad tech support from ATI, so I guess nothing out there is truly bullet-proof.

As for doing a web site, I've never done that before and I need to get more eng. compt. pics before I jump into that.

Thanks

Guest Anonymous

Scottie - I like my V8-Z better than the 914V8 (which I sold), that huge hunk of brand C iron in the back end really ruins the 914's handling. Sure was fast, though, 0-60 in 4.5s at 3500ft (and all in one gear).

Response to BLKMGK: Thanks for the concern, but I have KB Hypers in my block, now. The rods are stock but converted to floating pin. I don't think they'll be a problem because I will limit my top rpm to 6500.

I am going to keep the stock crank, from what I've heard, it should live under 9psi, especially since I will be fairly easy on it most of the time, with maybe only 1 or 2 trips to the drags.

You're not kidding about the '79 being low compression. With the stock heads having, I believe, 67cc, and cheapie TRW cast pistons being .050 down in the hole, I calculated it at a whopping 7.9-1.

I'm not sure where you heard ATI had bad tech support - they swapped out Darius' blower after it blew. Friends of mine deal ATI and have had nothing but good support from them. That being said some of the older Vortechs work great for cheap smile.gif

However you said you wanted quiet - that's touch to get with a blower. The Powerdyne is quietest but I swear inthe few cars I've seen them in it was probably because it was barely doing anything for them (lol). ATI DOES have some "quiet" blowers too but having heard about 6 of them I can say it's not much quieter! I do seem to recall Vortech doing something to quiet their blowers down and damp some of the resonance off of the impeller but I've yet to see one in person.

If you do really want quiet and sneaky I'd suggest NOS. You've got decent pistons (Hyper makes me nervous but...) so you ought to be safe if you keep it mild. Nothing quieter than a little bottle in the back smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for your opinion. The negative comments on ATI I saw were on the Corral.net., so I guess one has to be skeptical about what you read on line. I'll consider an ATI or Vortech if I run across a good deal.

Guest JAMIE T

I'm planning a Vortech/EFI302 swap in the next couple of months. My Vortech has 30K+ miles on it and has seen some chocalate milk oil on one occasion eek.gif and still performs flawlessly at @14psi boost regularly. It has seen 18psi boost when I got a wild hair up my a$$ and bolted on some cogs (and you think a regular vortech is noisy) biggrin.gif If this one gives up the ghost, I will upgrade to a YS trim Vortech. My combo has gone 10.30's in a 3200lb mustang(cogs) and high 10's in a real street driven car(standard belt) it should be damned fast in a 2500lb 240Z biggrin.gif

note I have 42lb inj/and tunable EFI system. I hope you will consider doing the EFI/supercharger swap, there is nothing like big boost coming on. When I first put a supercharger on my old mustang, My dad asked if he could drive it. I told him, "how about I give you a ride in it and when we get back you can change your underwear, THEN you can drive it"

My friend who's a mechanic refuses to read the Corral and he nearly ran screaming from his shop when a customer told him he'd bought a Vortech becasue "if I have problems with it they can help me on the Internet". He turns wrenches for a living and goes by his experience which to date has been better with ATI.

That's not to say a Vortech won't run but that he's had better experience with ATI. The intercooler on an ATI setup makes a big difference although some of the setups I've seen for the Camaros look pretty Micky Mouse to say the least. Darius for one ofund out that ATI backs up their product even if he did get pretty frustrated with it. Oh, and cogs are VERY bad for blowers - especially on the street. Don't run them long as the lash and lack of slip jerks the impeller all over the place. My ATI needed new bearings when I got it after it had been run in a race car with cogs for a season or so (shrug).

Heh, I know someone selling a P1SC from ATI for the Mustang for $2600 used. Apparently he wants a bigger blower smile.gif So far he's gotten nothing but jerked around online by all sorts of people telling him they want it but have no money and could he please hold it for them frown.gif I'm half tempted to go for it myself but the hassle of converting it from Ford to SBC and the cost (even if it's a good deal) puts it out of the realm for me...

Guest Anonymous

BLKMGK: Over the last week I have been thinking and reading up and I pretty much decided even before I read your response today that you are right about ATI. I am going to look for an ATI set up with an intercooler. I have been an engineer in a transportation business for 12 years, and I have seen the positive effects of intercooing on blown engines first hand, and I don't want one of those boxes you have to dump ice water in (what's the hip term for that, an Igloo?). I think $2600 for a used P1SC is a bit steep unless it has an intercooler. I can get a P600-I.C. setup for $2700 new. Now, now, I've read all the stories about the bracketry on the P600 kit being flimsy, but I see that as a minor issue I can correct. Besides, I may have to make my own bracketry anyway since what fits in a Mustang may not fit in a V8-Z. I have no desire to run cogs and high pressure. 9-11 psi is all I'll need (or the rest or the drivetrain can handle). Q. for you: are the ATI's helical gear?

I see that Powerdyne has earned the nickname "Powerdown".

Well, Mustang brackets ought to fit on th eZ I'd think - maybe close anyway. I can take some measurements and some pics if anyone is interested. I do seem to recall that they stick out ot the side a bit further than my P1200 does - mostly becasue of the blower housing. And what makes you think that $2600 was sans intercooler? smile.gif That's part of the ATI kit and I believe comes with that setup. It may already be sold though, I've not been over to the shop in a week or so (shrug). Blowers come up for sale fairly regularly these days.

As for needing an intercooler - heck yes! Turbos need them, why wouldn't a supercharger?! The housing isn't imparting THAT much heat - it's the compression of the air that heats things up! For that matter I think turbos are MORE effecient than belt driven impellers and probably need the cooling even more as a result. Ever see air temp readings from some of the blower tests? I've seen temps over 200 in some of them - ouch.

The water intercoolers actually sound good for drag racing IMO as water will pull more heat away than air. But on the street the water eventually hits a point where it won't get cooler and can only pull but so much heat from the air. A freon setup doesn't sound bad though smile.gif

Me, I'll probably try to find a used head unit, some SBC brackets, something like an NPR intercooler, and piece it together for this weirdo application. I wonder what Darius used on his car...