HybridZ

ATTN: 15x9 Shakotan Owners

I'm trying to decide whether to go for the 15x9 +0 or -10 Shakotans on my S30. I know a bunch of you guys are running them in this width. Did you have to pull or roll the front fenders or rear quarter panels to get the -10s or even -15 to fit?

Judging by the Shakotan thread, it seems +0 is perfect for the front but I'm not sure if it's enough to fill out the rears. I'll be running 205/50/15 tires on it.

Thanks in advance!

I'm trying to decide whether to go for the 15x9 +0 or -10 Shakotans on my S30. I know a bunch of you guys are running them in this width. Did you have to pull or roll the front fenders or rear quarter panels to get the -10s or even -15 to fit?

Judging by the Shakotan thread, it seems +0 is perfect for the front but I'm not sure if it's enough to fill out the rears. I'll be running 205/50/15 tires on it.

Thanks in advance!

Hey Soup I already bought mine havent had the chance to mount them yet being that I'm in Japan and my 280z in CA. I have the 15x9 -15 all around. The plan is s13 megan coilovers(already purchased) ZG fender flares, with 5mm spacer on the front and 10-15mm spacer on the rear for fitment of the Silver Mine Rear Disk conversion, with a slight grind to the top of the capiler for some spacing issues. Going for a -3 to -5 degree camber for rear and -1 to -3 for the front camber. Tire size is the same with 205/50/15. Without the spacers I should have approx 4.5" of back space. Granted theres only a certain amount reading you can do until you actually mount the wheels find out that they might not fit without some mods, at that point you just move on and make'em fit. Think of it this way, if you like the way they look then just get them how you want. I like mine wide kinda low and functional. Though I have 3 sets of wheels, eventually going to purchase a set of Diamond Steelies prob 16x11 not sure of the off set though.

Thanks Kali! I don't want to run flares however; I can't justify cutting into a mint body. This is true! Only reason why I ask is because the local shop can get the +0 but it's a near 2 month wait for the -10 and -15. It doesn't help that the wheel is special order so I can't even do a test fit.

Hey Soup I already bought mine havent had the chance to mount them yet being that I'm in Japan and my 280z in CA. I have the 15x9 -15 all around. The plan is s13 megan coilovers(already purchased) ZG fender flares, with 5mm spacer on the front and 10-15mm spacer on the rear for fitment of the Silver Mine Rear Disk conversion, with a slight grind to the top of the capiler for some spacing issues. Going for a -3 to -5 degree camber for rear and -1 to -3 for the front camber. Tire size is the same with 205/50/15. Without the spacers I should have approx 4.5" of back space. Granted theres only a certain amount reading you can do until you actually mount the wheels find out that they might not fit without some mods, at that point you just move on and make'em fit. Think of it this way, if you like the way they look then just get them how you want. I like mine wide kinda low and functional. Though I have 3 sets of wheels, eventually going to purchase a set of Diamond Steelies prob 16x11 not sure of the off set though.

I'm interested in how you're going to get the brakes to fit. I plan on getting rota aleica's in a 15x9, and I want to use the silvermine kit but idk if I can get it to fit. I am going to be running ZG flares, about the same offset as you (prob getting -25 rears, and -10 fronts then spacing if nec.). Would you mind PM'ing me when you get them to fit, so I know it can be done?! That'd be awesome.

To answer the OP's question, if I were you, I'd just get the 0 offset's, and use a spacer if necissary. If you decide to run flares, you can run a lot more (less technically) offset.

I don't want to run spacers if I can buy the right sized wheel in the first place. I know the +0 fits modestly well on the S30 but will the -10 fit both the front and rears without having to molest the fenders or having to run ridiculous camber?

I think he is implying that may have to use a spacer no matter what due to the back of the face design on the wheel. The caliper possibly hitting the back of the wheel. Therefore you need a spacer to space the wheel farther from the caliper so it clears. In which case, it would likely be that the wheel will hit regardless of what size and offset you choose.

This is currently worrying me on my car, if the back of the face of my wheels will clear the rear disc conversion. I already have -40 offset on a 15x10. I really don't have a lot of room left to go farther out!

I don't want to run spacers if I can buy the right sized wheel in the first place. I know the +0 fits modestly well on the S30 but will the -10 fit both the front and rears without having to molest the fenders or having to run ridiculous camber?

I always thought the 0 offset was the right fit for stock fenders, but I could be wrong. The other side is that if you chose to sell the wheels down the road, a 0 offset will be much easier to sell, because then you get them on the radar of all the miata and 240sx guys. H&R wheel spacers are the way to go if you do it, and I don't think you'd notice any difference between it and a wheel with that offset. I'm pretty sure a 15x9 et0 is acctually an aggressive fitment anyways, most people seem to run 15x8 et0's with stock fenders/qaurter panels. Scroll through the wheels thread and see what people run.

I think he is implying that may have to use a spacer no matter what due to the back of the face design on the wheel. The caliper possibly hitting the back of the wheel. Therefore you need a spacer to space the wheel farther from the caliper so it clears. In which case, it would likely be that the wheel will hit regardless of what size and offset you choose.

This is currently worrying me on my car, if the back of the face of my wheels will clear the rear disc conversion. I already have -40 offset on a 15x10. I really don't have a lot of room left to go farther out!

Well yes, if you plan on doing the silvermine rear disk conversion. However I don't believe that soup was talking about running those brakes on his car. I could be wrong though. The measurment of the silvermine's highest point is 13.6" (diameter), and this is at about the same placement as the hub mounting surface. I'd think with 1.5" of offset, you're probably going to clear. I'd make sure to measure first though, silvermine doesn't give refunds if your brake doesn't fit. Btw, way off topic, but what tires are you running on your 15x10's? I plan to run 225/50's on my 15x9's, but would like something with no stretch.

^ Thanks luseboy. I don't plan on running the Silvermine rear disc setup so caliper clearance is a non-issue for me. I saw pictures of the +0 setup on the other thread and the rears seem like they can take the -10 in stride although I don't know what the poster's camber settings were like. I do believe he was running a 195 tire which may be why it seems less aggressive than what it is.

Would be nice to have someone who's currently running the negative offset Shakotans pipe up with a definitive answer however.

^ Thanks luseboy. I don't plan on running the Silvermine rear disc setup so caliper clearance is a non-issue for me. I saw pictures of the +0 setup on the other thread and the rears seem like they can take the -10 in stride although I don't know what the poster's camber settings were like. I do believe he was running a 195 tire which may be why it seems less aggressive than what it is.

Would be nice to have someone who's currently running the negative offset Shakotans pipe up with a definitive answer however.

Wow... I put 195's on my 15x7 rims on my daily, and they look way too small, I miss the 205's on my 7" rims haha. But I know stretching allows you to put a bigger wheel in for more clearance. I'd check out the ratsun forums too, the majority of hybridz people aren't as interested in wheel fitment or stretched tires, so not too many people on here are very interested in getting the wheels to fit perfectly. I'm sure you could get the -10's to fit if you stretched tires, installed some camber plates (the gc ones are pretty nice, and don't have to be welded in), and did some fender work. This website has a few examples of different wheel fitments http://www.rimtuck.com/search/thumbnails&make=Datsun&sort=1

You can fit Rota Shaktons in a 9" width in -10 offset under standard guards if you fit a maximum of 195/65/r15 or 205/55/r15 tyre (for a little stretch).

I had Rota Alecia's 9" -10 under standard guards with no issues at all.

Accidently just found this on "post pics of your Z's here"

Nice work luseboy freaking on top with that stuff! I was just a tad lazy trying to find the refferance but you nailed it. Oh by the way Soup I suggest if you don't want a serious stretch don't go with the 195. Think that width is more set to fit a 7.5" wheel while the 205 it will still stretch but the 205 is more suited to fit a 8" wheel.

This is where I'm getting my assumptions from, that and what I've read on here.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Haha you guys are funny with your stretched tires. Here I am trying to find decent tires wider than 225 to use on my aleica's, I'm worried that'll be too stretched. But maybe not, that's like an 8.9" wide tire... Anyways I wouldn't go off that website. Slamburglars.com has a lot of info about stretching/aggressive fitment. It's a drifting/slammed car forum if you aren't familiar. Guys on there have done it. Someone on there put 195's on a 10 inch wheel I believe. You won't find any s30 specific answers, but as far as tire stretch goes. It wouldn't be that hard to cut out a portion of the inner fender, and welding that to the outer fender (in the rear), that way you end up with a lot of clearance, and an easily rolled lip. Honestly, flares would be your answer. In my opinion, you aren't ruining the car. The ZG flares look great if you ask me (hence why I will be using them). I guess the next big question is how those wheels fit over the mustang rear brakes. Anyone have a picture of the back of a shakotan? The backside of an aleica is crazy, and worries me that I may not be able to fit the silvermine brakes after all :blink:.

Here's a pic of a 15x8 et0, I'd get 15x9 et -25 for the rear, which would have another inch of built in spacer.

post-22866-069900500 1329046491_thumb.jpg

Seems like a shakotan would be similar, yes?

Btw, way off topic, but what tires are you running on your 15x10's? I plan to run 225/50's on my 15x9's, but would like something with no stretch.

225/50, anything wider is hard to find. Not sure much wider would fit anyway, lol.

I plan on using the MM 240SX rear brakes, though. Somewhere down the posts and quotes I got confused at who had the rear disc conversion apparently.

Accidently just found this on "post pics of your Z's here"

Right on! Exactly what I'm looking for - thanks luseboy.

Kali - I'm going with the 205 already. I already have 'proper' wheels for the track but for everyday cruising, good fitment and stance are a must.

Edited by Soup

225/50, anything wider is hard to find. Not sure much wider would fit anyway, lol.

I plan on using the MM 240SX rear brakes, though. Somewhere down the posts and quotes I got confused at who had the rear disc conversion apparently.

Ya I mean you can get 245/55/15 toyo's i believe, but they're like a cheap luxury tire. Nothing I'd ever put on a Z. Anything decent in 15" sucks to find. I will probably be using 225/50r/15 falken 912's. Haha I planned on using the 240sx rear brakes too, but later decided I wanted the silvermine kit after hearing constant complaints of it not having enough bite. But I was set even more so on my wheels, so I'm a bit stuck on if they'll work together or not.

Right on! Exactly what I'm looking for - thanks luseboy.

Kali - I'm going with the 205 already. I already have 'proper' wheels for the track but for everyday cruising, good fitment and stance are a must.

Haha no problem man! I will never understand the stretched tire thing, but to each their own.

They are hyper black and I do plan on running flares. In order to get the look and fitment I am wanting I am going to have to run spacers. When I get to that point of the build I will post pictures and the spacers I ended up using.

Hey ECUAdam are you using a rear disk break conversion and which brand? What mods do you plan to use to make it work?