HybridZ

Oil Pump Woes

Hey guys, yesterday I changed the valve cover, oil pan and oil pump gaskets because of leaks and wasn't aware that the oil pump required the engine to be TDC. After installed the oil pump gasket I attempted to start the car but it wouldn't start, a friend messed around with the distributor trying to get the timing right that way but that didn't work. So I looked in the manual and found out that I made a mistake by not setting it to TDC (boy did I feel like an idiot).

After setting the engine to TDC, lining the pump hole with the punch mark, then installing the dizzy I was able to get the car started. The timing was off at first until we set it to about 20 with a timing light and had the car idling smooth. However, when we increase RPM's are ticking/rattle noise appears and gets louder. At first warm up the noise was really loud, but after warming up and a 20 minute freeway drive it started to quiet just a little.

A friend said a valve adjustment might fix it but I'm not sure if the noise would appear because an oil change / oil pump gasket fix. No unusual amount of smoke appears, the car idles fine but we did attempt to start the car with the pump not aligned properly. Did we damage the engine? Can athorough oil change cause the noise for dozen miles or so? Is it possible that the distributor is off?

The car drove fine and was a long commuter / daily driver prior to this, now I'm not sure if I can take the trip to L.A from S.D with this noise.

Engine is a l28E - Turbo'd with stock turbo ecu and P79 head with 82-83 distributor.

Thanks for any input!

edit: after driving this morning I noticed a noticeable amount of white smoke coming from the valve cover and crank case breather.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI1eMo4QMlo&context=C370369bADOEgsToPDskI0OR3MIuXvwEvW0qbShn1I

Edited by Juarez88