HybridZ

dual cats?

hey, i am in the planning stages of a 327 engine swap...

i was wondering about doing dual side exaust. would i, in order to at least attempt to be smog legal, be better off running dual cats, or just running straight, pipe to sidepipe muffler...

man, now there are two easy things that confuse me, exaust, and tires/rims.

Hey Joe, I'm just over the river from you in Rio Vista. In California if your car is a '73 or older no smog inspection is required. This was a big factor in my choice when I went looking for a doner car. Once you start modifing the car you won't want to stop. And you wont want to be hampered with bi-annual inspections. If you decide you must have a newer car read and re-read the the section in the JTR book on this.

I have owned a business here in California and have had extensive experiance with the state and local governments. I know that if I had to deal with them much over this I would lose interrest in the project and never finish.

Hey.

I'm to the point now all I need it exhaust and tires. The engine starts (open headers. hahahha. Neighbors love me) I want to put side pipes on the 72 z but everyone I talk to round here says NOOOO don't do it. The custom muffler shops say the will drag the ground on the slightest incline or speed bump. And they won't do the work. That's ok I prefer to do it myself anyhow, I just need one person to tell me to do it and it will work.

Summit racing has DynoMax side pipes 52" chrome pipes for 205$ and Hooker side pipes with reverse flow muffles (quieter I think) for 350$ that I can get the hookers in black. So, what does everyone think. will sise pipes work with stiff springs and tall tires?

Oh yeah, my local m-shop wants 600$ to put a single 2 1/2 inch pipe in the original position (or close to it) and a flow master in the rear. Not to happy about that. 600 bones and he said no way for dual exhaust because it won't fit. I called another shop and he bust out laughing saying he has not put side pipes on a car in 20 years. null

shhh about the smog laws. i am ignoring smog... well, damn... maybe i could find a cheap 72... See, the problem is, that i already have a 77, which is being a pain in the ***.... (i curbed it on accident. bent some suspension in the rear... ) and i just did a 5 speed swap, which wasnt friendly...(still on my learning curve)

but, see , i really want to put a 327 into a z... maybe i should get my current z finished, pick up the 72, and when i get that near completion i can sell my 77...yeah, needless to say i am confused about what to do.

oh, a side note, sidepipes=cool. if i get a 72, i will just run straight pipes :-) lol... until the cops make me put mufflers on that is.

You will get stuck having to smog the car--there are ways around that...mostly illegal, and I do not recommend any of them. That said, if you want to be legal in the smog arena, you'll have to swap in a '77 or later V8 into the 280Z. You can do dual cats if you want to or go with a single, which is easier to fab.

$600 is fair if the parts and procedure are top notch, period. Otherwise, it seems like too much money for a simple exhaust job.

As far as someone laughing at you abou the side pipes--there is serious consideration being given by several people, including Eric Neyerlin (sp?) about coming out with a kit. Side pipes are not my bag, but they don't look bad at all on a Z. You should talk to some street rod shops about them--they can do it right or they'll know about someone who can!

Davy

I disagree and agree with Davy, ah, in that order.

I think $600 sounds a little spendy for a single. I'm paying less than that for duals, and it is a very pro job.

But I'm with ya on the side pipes. Even though I'm going a different route, I think they look great on a Z. Some cars, with the right proportions, just lend themselves to side pipes. Worst thing Dodge did,IMHO, was pull them off the Viper.