HybridZ

T-5 Ripper shifter B@M for nissan T5.. need one

Well after the nissan T5 shifter went in, i was rather chapped at the fact that the shifter is WAY too close to the heater console, my knuckles hit the gauges i mounted in there when i made the heater plate. DOH... Time for the ripper shifter.. soon im thinking.. wheres the best price and how much should i expect to pay?

Evan

Hi Evan - I have the same problem. I wouldn't mind trying out a "ripper" myself, but I don't see anyone with a better price than Summit, and that ain't cheap. Right now I'm running a stock shifter from a TBird TurboCoupe (T5). I bet any T5 shifter will work, and better than the ZX T5 in a Z. Hope this helps.

Guest Anonymous

Does the T5 in the Nissan use two bolts to bolt the shifter handle on? If so, you maybe be able to get something like the Southside Machine handle they use in the Mustangs, its got several holes to locate the shift handle in different positions. To go real cheap, get a length of 1/2 rod and bend it in the shape you want (unless you have gorilla like biceps, probably need a torch to do this), a flat piece welded on one end to bolt to the shifter on the tranny, the other end threaded for the shift handle of your choice. Just an idea for those with thin financial porfolio's like myself. icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

[ May 09, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

The ZX T-5 shifter doesn't have the 2 bolts holding on the upper shifter, unfortunately. I know a guy who hot-sawed half-way through it, bent it and re-welded it. The TChicken is the standard deal for T-5 shifters, it bends back for a fair shift location, but the 2 bolt deal still sticks up too high to avoid any console problems, I had to carve mine out a bit. At least I don't have a radio there anymore to get interfered with. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

Ahh, bummer. I was wondering about that when Evan the Barbarian icon_wink.gif mentioned the four bolts, which I know bolts the whole shifter to the transmission. Thats a drag. I guess the good news is the top is interchangable with the other T5's.

Regards,

Lone

Good tips guys, thanks alot. The plate is held down by four bolts and rides on a plastic ball type affair...

Last night i started getting antsy and tried to bend it myself with a torch and a vice... maybe ill use my buddies oxy=acetylene setup to heat that damn thing up next time. I didnt want to oveheat it and torch the plastic ball!!!

Thanks again guys- Evan

PS.... How much better is the T5 superchicken shifter? Does it angle back a little better?

Well i guess im stickin with the stock, crappy shifter for now. I will get a ripper when i get some money. I just dropped like another 300 bucks for parts this week alone! On a lighter note, if i had pistons, my engine would be finished this weekend. I had my IC piping pro welded today. And im picking up my driveshaft tomorrow for the T5...

things are coming together!- Evan icon_eek.gif