HybridZ

Brake Booster Hardware Question

Ok well I am putting my 1971 Series 1 240 back together and my brake booster was looking rough so I decided I would buy a booster from a 280z from the parts store. I took all the bolts and everything else off the old booster including the nipple part that goes into the master cylinder and the bracket that attaches to the pedal assembly with a pin.. The bracket from the old booster that attaches to the brake pedal that threads onto the booster is actually smaller than the stud on the new one. now the part seems to be made of copper or brass so it should be easy to enlarge and rethread but I just wanted to know if this was something others ran into or if I got an oddball reman booster with a larger diameter stud on the pedal end? Also on the master cylinder side the nipple part that goes into the master seems to be a lot longer, I can replace it with the one from the old booster. I can post pics if it makes it more clear. I just want to make sure I have the correct part before I drill new holes in the fire wall to mount the larger booster. On a side note If someone has the correct bracket that goes with the larger booster I would be happy to buy it from them. thanks for any info you can share...

Go back and read all of the posts in the brake section concerning brake booster swaps for compatability with your Z. Booster diameters, clevis details, mounting bolt patterns etc. changed from year to year. Also, the push rod that goes between the booster and MC has to be carefully adjusted. There are many posts explaining how to adjust the push rod and select the correct boosters for your Z.

ok well if anyone is interested the later boosters 72+ came with a few different sized rods that attach to the pedal via the fork clamp with pin. It was as simple as swapping out the smaller fork clamp with a friends larger one. Pin size that attaches to the pedal also varies.