HybridZ

Rear end ratio

Guest firebern

Guest firebern

Hi Dudes,

I am worried! I won't drive very fast without a good rear end ratio. The Mustang has ratios in the area of 3.5. Doesn't the 1978 Datsun get like 2.9 or less. Where can I get the info. on the gear ratios of the Datsun throughout the years and most importantly, where could I get some aftermarket rear ends for a Datsun???

I aim at being the fastest car in my town.

(Next year, a Paxton supercharger.)

Later,

Fire.

Guest Anonymous

Nah, the lowest numeric ratio Datsun offered in its production cars was a 3.36 ratio. This was available in a R200 in I think 79', but is somewhat of a holy grail as far as finding one. Most of the Z's were probably more like 3.54 gears or lower. Nismo did offer I believe at one time a 3.15 ratio, but last time I looked at they're catalog it wasn't listed. icon_sad.gif

Check out this on Jeromio's Page, its has some differential information listed:

http://240z.jeromio.com/sheet.html

As far as aftermarket rears, do a search on rearend in the Forum, we've had some discussion about alternate rear ends, I don't think anyone makes a bolt in aftermarket rear end for the Z though, Qauffe (sp?) does make a limited slip type rear end ring gear carrier/spiders, but its not a whole rear end.

Hope that helps,

Lone

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

Ford 5.0's came with either 2.73, 3.08, or 3.27 rears. Which one depended the trans and the car's option sheet. Stock was 2.73 fo rth estick, 3.08 optional. Auto's got 3.08 stock, 3.27 optional.

Mustang owners quickly found out that switching to 3.55, 3.73, or in some cases 4.10 gears got them better acceleration with some sacrifice in top end. The 4 series gears were a bit extreme on the street and in my case 3.73s were too low going through the traps swith my turbos icon_smile.gif I found 3.27 to work well for that car.

In your case you'll want to check the tire height first before swapping ratios. Mustangs had a 26.5inch tall tire if I recall right, Datsun tend to be shorter. That will give you the effect of a quicker gear. Go for a 3.5 or 3.7 rear for good acceleration but be sure and do some math to figure out highway cruising RPM. I'm not sure how the lower weight of the Datsun will effect your gear choice - certainly there shouldn't be an effect for highway cruising anyway....

I have the 3.545:1 ratio in my 5.0 / T5 powered Z. I really like this combination with 24.7 in tall rear tires. I had 3.7 gears in the car when I first put it on the road. I changed them after 2 weeks of driving. I would like to try 3.36 gears but R200s with that ratio are hard to find. Currently, 75 miles/Hr in fifth gear is 2700 rpms. The car is a pleasure to drive.

The Mustang with stock rear gears couldn't pull it's top gear in 5th to begin with. At 55mph 5th was pretty low even with optional 3.08's in my car. Driving a Mustang back to back with 3.08 and 3.73 or 3.55 gears makes a night and day difference - for the better. where you'll run into problems is tire height, how tall is the tire combo you're going to run?

[ July 03, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

Guest firebern

Well I got a 78 280Z, so by looking at the web page its a 3.545:1, which is still a big difference from a 'Stang. I am looking for top end speed rather then acceleration, I think there's already plenty of it.

It's too bad we can't find Datsun aftermarket parts as easily as American cars. This was a major reason why I wanted to get a ford 5.0 engine and tranny in mine.

Replacing a connnecting rod and piston will be lots cheaper in this SB plus I can get plenty of aftermarket stuff new and used for very cheap. I got a better example: replacing heads!

We are all winning on this and that's cool.

Thanks dudes,

Fire.

Guest firebern

How tall can you get in a Z, I am having a hard time imagining anything bigger than 26 inch, rigth now, I have some eagle GTA that are very used at 23 inch diameter, or I'd have to get thinner tires. How big can you go on a stock body without lifting the suspension?

I Could always get thinner tires and rims at the front and the back wouldn't matter as much. I still have to investigate my options on this. For now, I like the rims I have, I think they are off a 79 Z or some other 280ZX.

Look, www.geocities.combern_on_yahoo

(The thing is crappy but i'll fix it once I am done with the car)

Later,

Fire.

Here are some numbers to put things in perspective. If you have 24.7 in tall tires (245/50/15), 3.545 gears, T-5 transmission.

6200 rpms in 5th gear is 189 mph.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about getting gears taller than 3.36 or about fitting tall tires.

The limiting factor on your top speed will be horsepower and drag coefficient, not gear.

Guest Anonymous

Heck, even if you can only pull 4500, 5000 rpm in redline, you'll be looking at jail time in most states... icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

yeah blkmgk but then if i got doing that I would probably speed up instead of slowdown, i mean the only thing the cops will have that probably could keep up would be a friggin helicopter icon_biggrin.gif just kiddin i wouldn't do that just imagine a tire deciding to call it quits at that kind of speed icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Guest firebern

The hell with that, outrun them till they kill ya! icon_biggrin.gif They are going to kick the **** out of you, anyways and they`ll get away with it. icon_mad.gif They are like dogs, they bite at their masters command.

Think of the jews who crucified Jesus, cops do the same to people who manifest for our rigths.

Anyways, try not to mention the cops too often, I know some own Datsuns, I am not saying they are all the same, but I don`t feel safe when they are around.

Later,

Fire.

quote:

Originally posted by firebern:

Well I got a 78 280Z, so by looking at the web page its a 3.545:1, which is still a big difference from a 'Stang. I am looking for top end speed rather then acceleration, I think there's already plenty of it.

It's too bad we can't find Datsun aftermarket parts as easily as American cars.

Thanks dudes,

Fire.

If you want a 3.36 I've got a friends new in the box NISMO (or Nissan) 3.36 new ring and pinion R200 setup for $300US or $450CD.