HybridZ

WTB 76- 77 280z ignition relay

240fox

Look up your part here - http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/home.oap - then click the Compatibility link in the part description. It will tell you which other models and years used the same part. Pretty sure yours is the same up to at least the 79 ZX, maybe farther, and back to 76, maybe farther.

My 76 was hot-wired straight from the ignition switch to the relay when I got the car, because the insides had rusted away. I replaced it with a 79 ZX relay. The later relays had a separate ground pin, but the function of the connector pins is the same.

orielys doesn't seem to have one. ill try snagging one from a zx at the junkyard. My wiring diagram shows a blue and red wire going from the ignition switch to the relay does that seem right?

My link

Sorry about that, my mistake. I must have figured it out from the FSMs. But I don't think that you need a later EFI car ignition relay for what you're doing. It probably has more functions than you need.

You just need to power up the EFI harness through the fusible link circuit. A single relay could be used there, activated by splicing in to any switched power wire. That will power the injectors. Then jump power to the ECU through the connector or use another relay. Another relay for the fuel pump. The typical BMW Bosch style relays are simple and durable.

It might be easier to think of the engine and EFI system (ECU, injectors and harness) as completely separate from the car and supply it what it needs to work. Use the car's harness only to supply power, either directly, or to activate individual relays.

I'm probably over-simplifying, and may have left something out, but I did get an engine to run with just the EFI harness, an ECU, an old defroster switch (to control power to the ECU) and some jumper wires at one of the connectors. The ECU needs that inline resistor as a branch on the Pin 1/tacometer circuit also, to work correctly. I used a separate GM HEI module for ignition control with a stock 280Z distributor.

Good luck.