HybridZ

280zxt N42 intake throttle cable conversion

I used the cable off of the cruise control module of a 280zx for my throttle cable. It is the perfect length to go between the throttle body (240sx 60mm in my case, but the stock Datsun throttle body has the linkage mount in the same place) and the last piece of mechanical linkage that mounts on the firewall. I will post some pictures later when I get a chance. It was a pretty simple setup. I just had to make a couple of custom brackets and intall return springs. None of it was very hard though, just simple aluminum bended brackets and off-the-shelf return springs from the "HELP" section at Advance Auto.

post-10222-095490300 1331929551_thumb.jpg

post-10222-093396500 1331929610_thumb.jpg

post-10222-086768400 1331929629_thumb.jpg

post-10222-062610700 1331929584_thumb.jpg

Ok that should give you an idea. I just had to drill a hole in each end of the cable. The end at the throttle body has a cotter pin in it to hold it in place, and the end at the linkage on the firewall has the spring holding it in place. I used a return spring attached to the throttle body and going down and mounting to the engine block using an unused bolt hole and another at the linkage to help it return closed faster. The two brackets were pretty easy to make. And the best thing was it was free, by cannibalizing the cruise control module off of a 280zx.

The return spring setup was missing on the 240sx throttle body I used, that's why I had to use the springs. The only reason I did a throttle cable in the first place was because the stock linkage hit my fuel rail. But im pleased with the result. No sticky linkage bind anymore either.

Edited by Cannonball89