HybridZ

240Z with a ford V-8, this is news to me!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Warning, words and ideas from a newbie:

Okay, don't laugh, that's a cool freakin idea. I have to ask though, what is involved in something like this? New rear end? New drive shaft? New transmission? Will a 351W fit? I guess you need a taller hood? Come on guys, you gotta fill me in here!! Thanks all...

Use the search, most will be answered. EFI 302 fits under stock hood, T5 type trans sticks up through shifter hole correctly. Custom driveshaft, custom engine mounts. Stock rear works fine but upgrading to an R200 in a 240 is recommended. Dunno' about the 351W but it's not that much bigger and can fit under the stock hood of a FOX Mustang if you know what you're doing so I see no reason why it wouldn't work... Search, you'll see that several have done the swap.

Guest Anonymous

Well, put it this way, I just bought a 351W short block which I'm gonna build up for a Mustang fox body. However, I'm always looking for ideas. I don't already have the Mustang, so I'd consider a different body. If a 240/280 is the way to go, then I'd start researching it now. You know, a ~2500lb car would be MUCH better than one that weighs ~3200lbs!

Heh, a Maryland guy. What's your smog like up there? Pete, can ya' fill us in? Mustangs can slip by emissions since no one knows what to look for to tell a 351W apart from a 302 icon_smile.gif Had there been ready made mounts available I'd probably have done the Ford motor to be honest. Intakes are plentiful, TBs cheap, and I can get parts for them like mad including blowers icon_biggrin.gif The Ford T56 is actually a pretty cheap piece compared to a NEW GM T56 icon_mad.gif How they sell them cheaper than GM is beyond me since the Ford unit is a converted GM...

Long story short, I think the Ford is an excellent idea if you can fab mounts but I don't regret my SBC this time around.

Jordan,

Is this a swap you are seriously considering? Do you already have a 240Z to use or do you need to still purchase a Z for the swap? Depending on the smog laws in your area, you might be able to get by with a later model of Z, like a 280Z, which would be easier to find, maybe even cheaper, and have little to no rust on it. Just my $.02.

Davy

OK, Jordan is not a purist in any sense of the word--and that is cool! A speed guy icon_smile.gif Jordan, this will work with the 351, I'm nearly positive, but if you do happpen to run into any hood clearance issues, you can always opt for the cowl induction hood. I used to dislike them, but they have grown on me so much I actually want one!! icon_razz.gif Good luck with your project.

Davy

Pretty sure that it's 1977 or newer for emissions inspection. BUT when you get a car inspected for the first time to register it in your name, they are supposed to check the emissions equipment.

To make things easier in this regard, I'd find a 240Z if you can. Check my site

here: http://members.home.net/pparaska/kenz4sale.htm

This guy is a buddy that has a fairly decent stock 73 240Z for sale. Some rust, not sure how bad. His phone number is on the page.