HybridZ

project junk yard stock bottom end 4.8.. video

so after having a 500 whp ls1 6 speed and a 600 whp ls6 i decided it was time to try something different. i called a some what local junk yard and ordered a complete 5.3 and they gave me one for 500 bucks. after getting it home i found out its really a 4.8.... so after being upset and talking to the junk yard they offered to sell me a real 5.3 for only 250 since they cant take back a motor i tore apart. well i decided to take them up on the offer but still see what this 294 cubic inch little ls motor could do. it was supposed to only have 60k on it but it was the nastiest looking motor i ever saw. and water must have got inside it and sat for a while cause some rings had rust on them and many of the bores had rust. any way this video tells the whole story, please bear in mind that my ls1 and ls6 made those numbers with a 6 speed, when i later took the 600 whp ls6 to a dyno with the current automatic and loose converter it only made 503 so it basically dropped 97 hp from the automatic and the loose converter blowing threw, so you can basically add 97 hp to my current dyno results with the 4.8 to truly get a understanding how hard it pulls. the ls6 went 9.78 at 136 with the automatic and the "503" whp. http://www.youtube.com/embed/onuPyd-OGCA

Loved the video.

Interesting to learn about the alternator mounting problem. I need to learn more about issues that one runs into when trying to mount a T56 to the 4.8, 5.3, and other larger iron block variants.

You've been a great help to me in my build - thanks for posting your work.

Loved the video.

Interesting to learn about the alternator mounting problem. I need to learn more about issues that one runs into when trying to mount a T56 to the 4.8, 5.3, and other larger iron block variants.

You've been a great help to me in my build - thanks for posting your work.

the transmission is straight forward and all yopu need to so is fabricate a cross member and get the correct length drive shaft. the alternator problem is only if you use the fbody alternator bracket, since doing that mod i have purchased and added the little mount that goes on the back of the alternator and ties it into the block making it even more secure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...