HybridZ

Tranny swap leads to engine mount issues

Hey experts, I'm rebuilding a '77 280z that had a 4 speed manual tranny when I bought it. I've since purchased a 5 speed, also a '77, that I mounted to my engine and proceeded to install. I first lowered into the compartment and fitted the tranny crossmember into its mounts. No problem so far. When I lowered the engine further onto its mounts the holes didn't line up. The tranny seems to sit back 1/4" too far for some reason. I pried and forced the engine into place but don't like the idea of it all under stress. I know this will lead to premature engine mount failure. Did I miss something? I thought this was a direct swap. The cross member is mounted correctly to the tranny.(Angled forward) I also got the energy suspension poly bushings in the crossmember but dont think it should be an issue. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Pooky

Fellas, I figured out the issue. To make it short. I put the tranny mount on the the rear housing as the tranny was standing on the bell housing end.(on 4x 4's) The holes in the ears on the rear housing are big, allowing a lot of slop in the bolts. Since it was standing on end, the mount bolted tight in the farthest forward position of the big holes. Hence, when I installed everything the whole drivetrain was at its farthest point back, not allowing the motor mount holes to line up. Solution, I unbolted everything on the tranny, it all shifted 1/8" forward and Hallelujah! I'm a pretty sharp guy to commit such an amateur error. Lesson learned: Never assume everything will bolt right up just because it should. Thanks for responding guys. Craig