HybridZ

Ground Control Questions

First off I'm new to the forum. So don't be so harsh. But to my defense i have been following/reading it for quite some time. Now for the issue, I have a 76 280z and it needs to have a suspension redo. i want to lower it with coilovers and have been looking in to GC set up w/ illuminas. now i have read several people that say they have done it but i cant find a full how to on it. mostly its just "i lowered my z w/ gc check it out". :( so if someone can please show me the way to a build thread to this issue i would greatly appreciate it. by the way here is a pic of my z.

post-28419-098573300 1332823354_thumb.jpg

Edited by RB26powered74zcar
Poor title description

Start reading! Both of these threads come from the suspension FAQ section at the top of the forum index.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/38589-strut-sectioning-faq/

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/98897-step-by-step-coilover-conversion/

well the first one has to do w/ koni and the second has to do w/ balstein. is it the same for tokicos?

First off I'm new to the forum. So don't be so harsh. But to my defense i have been following/reading it for quite some time. Now for the issue, I have a 76 280z and it needs to have a suspension redo. i want to lower it with coilovers and have been looking in to GC set up w/ illuminas. now i have read several people that say they have done it but i cant find a full how to on it. mostly its just "i lowered my z w/ gc check it out". :( so if someone can please show me the way to a build thread to this issue i would greatly appreciate it. by the way here is a pic of my z.

Ill bite. First off you didnt look really at all. Ok now thats out of the way. There are several different struts that are popular for the gc kit. Techno toy tuning recommends tokico illuminas front part number bz3125 and rear strut part number bz3038. After you decide the struts you want, tear down your suspension and "section" it meaning you cut out a small section of the strut casing and weld it back together. In my case with the part numbers I provided I cut my casings 30mm. After you weld them back together you will weld on the perch the spring sits on. In my case it was 7 and 1/8s inches below the top of the casing. Then have fun putting it all back together. Thats it.

Here are some great references,

DirtyS30's build thread with the link to his tutorial on strut sectioning

http://dirtys30.blogspot.com/2011/04/how-to-240z-ground-control-coilovers-w.html

A video of a guy doing the same stuff we have to do on an corolla suspenion

Vid of my fronts after I JUST finished them on turkey day 2011.

I could probably vomit up more info but I wont spoon feed you and burp you. Enjoy and good luck.

Use the directions from the first link for the tokico struts (you'll have to read the whole thing!) and the instructions that come with the ground control coilovers and you'll be golden :)

If you're not comfortable with the install I know both JohnC and myself offer the installation as a service.

Ya it doesn't matter what insert you're using, they're all pretty much the same when it comes to installing them except with konis where you have to adjust them before install. I chose to run the Bz3099 (toyo mr2 aw11 rear) in the front and bz3015 (240z front) in the rear, which ended up having me cut about 1.5" off on each housing. Do your own measurements though! Don't go section struts 1.5", wait till you have the insert to measure from.

To answer your question, yes you can wait on camber plates. Many people use oem shock mounts with gc coilovers with no problem

thanks. the reason im asking is i really need to redo to suspension and i since i want it lowered y not just go w/ gc coilovers. but im getting the other parts little by little b/c of budget issues. i really would like to wait to put on the coilovers but my cars a dd, so i cant afford alot of down time.