HybridZ

Advice: 2001 Lexus ES300

JSM

My neighbor a few houses down has an 01 ES300 just sitting there. He's the original owner. Finally was able to get ahold of him and he was going to donate it! I figure he could right off $2K and would make 20% or $400 dollars back on his taxes. He said he would take $400 for it.

He believes the motor is shot. Running rough and the dealer quoted him a $2K estimate to fix with some problem with the head? He wasn't quite sure.

Interior is mint, still smells new, 150K mileage though.

I'm gonna get it cause it's such a deal and see what comes of it. The cheapest running one I could find was 6K on craiglist.

Any advice on the motor and known problems? I believe it 1MZ-FE 3.0L I6.

Thanks!

On a side note, I picked this up from a garage sale for $184! I don't need it or really want it but I'm gonna flip it.

It stopped running about a year or so ago. Guy wasn't sure why. I sprayed some starting fluid in her and she started right up! Was quite happy.

It was funny, I bought if from a women who's boyfriend bailed on her a year or so ago! She could have cared less about it!

8a085d05.jpg

$2k from a dealer quote doesn't sound that bad to me, from the severity standpoint. If it was truly a serious engine issue it'd have been much higher than that. It probably is just something that's going to require a top end tear down, but I guess you'll find out soon enough. :-D

Good luck on the flipping :wink:

Oh, and I believe the '01 GS300 should have the 2JZ, not the 1MZ. I might be wrong though. Just double checked on wiki and it says I'm right, but we all know what that means...

Edited by Gollum

Well I bought it! After sitting a year plus threw a battery in and she started right up! Runs ruff just like he said. Drove home a full 5 houses down the street!

If anyone has any advice on this thread please PM me.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/es300-and-es330/628888-advice-needed-2001-es300-new-motor-or-fix.html

Edited by JSM