HybridZ

240z carburetors

First off i am not in a happy mood. These f'ing carbs are pissing me off.

Last week my z therapy video came in the mail and i watched it so i can tune up my carbs. Well last week i got everything aligned and tuned great. Car was idling fine, wasnt to rich or to lean, didnt see any smoking out the back of the tailpipe. Car ran good. Drove great last week for 5 days that i drove it. Then its been 4 days since i drove it and now the engine idles low, has trouble starting up, seems to run rich and smokes out the back. I dont get what the hell is going on? The weather got a bit warmer but i dont see how that can dramatically affect the carbs running like ****. Could it be the oil i used for the pistons not good enough? I used 10w-30 like the manual said. Should i use automatic tranny fluid?

I did reuse the fuel jet valves (whatever its called) in the float chamber. Maybe ill upgrade to the ball design that ztherapy offers. When i adjusted mine it wasnt fun, took awhile to get them just right. I went back out to retune my carbs and seem to run a bit better, but still a bit on the rich side and smokes a bit out the back, not as much as before but still a little bit. Thats the only thing i can think of are the fuel valves and changing to auto trans fluid for the pistons.

I had a friend help me with mine and he said instead of using motor oil we used transmission fluid. He said 10w 30 was too thick, are the carbs also from Z therapy? Im pretty sure if you call them and ask them whats going on they can help you tune over the phone. They are super nice!

The damper oil will not cause the symptoms you reported. The most likely cause is bad float valves. Check the float valves for dirt and damage. Check the float height setting while you are there. Check the plugs, the rich condition could have fouled them again.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i took another closer look at the engine to see what might be causing my problem. Like some of you have said, the spark plugs are getting fouled up. Turns out that the cylinders are wet when looking inside the spark plug hole.Any idea what might be causing this? could it be my head gasket leaking coolant, or piston rings not sealing, leaking oil on top of the pistons, or both? I replaced the head gasket in January, but i did not take the block and head to machine shop to get the surfaces milled. could that be it? I honestly think the carbs are working ok, i spent so much time on them not to mess up.

Edit: well i should probably do a compression test huh? hehe, maybe that might help me answer some questions.

Edited by disepyon

Results for the compress test: 1(170) 2(160) 3(155) 4(165) 5(160) 6 (165)

Pictures of spark plug for cylinder 1. All the other spark plugs look similar. The plugs do contain wet oil, just in case you cant see in pictures. How do the spark plugs look and what can be inferred by looking at the condition of them?

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

What do you guys think? Worn piston rings allowing oil to pass through and making spark plugs and top of pistons wet?

I do get a slight coolant leak in some areas of the head gasket out side of the motor when the car has not been driven for days and been sitting. Its not major leaks, just more like droplet leaks. But for some reason when i drive the car for lets say 4 days in a row, i have no leaks, but then if the car sits for lets say 4 days, these leaks occur.

Will the car start and run now? After sitting for a week the fuel should have dried out now and it should start again if the plugs are not fouled.

It still seems like you might have a leaking float valve. Did you check them after the poor running and rich condiiton returned?

Will the car start and run now? After sitting for a week the fuel should have dried out now and it should start again if the plugs are not fouled.

It still seems like you might have a leaking float valve. Did you check them after the poor running and rich condiiton returned?

No i have not. You may be right. Valves where never replaced, i assume from the previous owner. I really want to order the ones from ztherapy (ball design) but never got around to do it. I guess i should go ahead and order new rubber floats too and jet needles.

• 3 weeks later...

Well i figure i should update this thread for any future folks having similar problems like me. Turns out that the floats needed to be readjusted again. The front carb float was off quite a bit, causing me to run rich on the first 3 cylinders. The fuel needles and seats are ok, but i went ahead and ordered new ones. Waiting for the new parts to come in but i went ahead and readjusted the floats and now everything works great. No smoking, smooth idle, revs smoothly through all the rmps ranges. Cant drive it yet though, need to replace the clutch slave cylinder, worn out bad, not disengaging. I adjusted it before a while back and now its off again. Guess ill change that tomorrow.