HybridZ

Triton V-10

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

In the market for a truck.

Since we have such a diverse and vast knowledge base would anyone care to chime in on the relative durability/reliability of the Triton V-10.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

even though i work for ford i would buy a chevy 2500 hd-the ride and interior noise are alot better.my dad has a 2500 hd and i drive fords at work since i am a ford technician-so i ahve driven both.the chevy also has a real truck trans-allison 5 spd auto with a button for down hill compression braking.i was driving around a ford f250 4x4 this morning -the ride with the straight front axle sucks.

I'm not that familiar w/the V-10's but if you're looking at the V8 Diesels I'ld say your decision needs to be based on what your intent/purpose of the truck in order to make a proper decision.

If you're looking for a Light Duty truck for semi-heavy work...then go w/the Dodge or the GM but if you're looking for Extreme HD-work out of a Light Duty Truck then go w/the Ford & make sure you have a standard transmission. The ford puts out more HP/Torque (last time I checked) & that is why the Hot-Shot Truckers prefer the Ford over the Dodge or the GM. Even tho the Dodge engine is made by Cummins & you cant beat a Cummins as for "user-friendliness" the Ford Diesel is made by International & International certainly knows what they are doing as well.

BTW: Even tho the Dodge Cummins has less hp/torque-you cant beat a 150k mile warranty on the powertrain from Cummins (At least they were offering that warranty last time I checked). Somthing to think about.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest Anonymous

Kevin, I beleive our truck (2001 dodge 2500? 3500? the big one, with the towing and camper package, and cummins turbo with the 6 speed manual) has a 300K mile warranty. For towing it's pretty safe to say that the cummins is better, much flatter surve, the thing just PULLS! We also just ordered a bigger exhaust, and a sensor reader, I think it's called, it fools the computer into thinking the sensors are reading different then what they really are, like a chip, but there is no way to do a true chip, so instead they modify sensor values so the computer looks at different areas in the data table... From there it is also pretty safe and easy to change the wastegate, and add a few more pounds of boost, but even without that, and the other mods, it will have over 600 ft/lbs of tourque!

Wish my car had that much icon_smile.gif

Just my .02.

Sorry for babbling icon_smile.gif

Kris

quote:

Originally posted by ZGimp:

Sorry for babbling.., Kris

Good info, for 300k mile warranty you can babble all day long. Its been a few years since I've checked the diesels. The Cummins will definately be the Cadilac of diesels as opposed to the GM or International Diesel.

Just before anyone buys anything...check the hp/torque figures & check w/the service dept's of each Ford, GM & Dodge Dealers: then ask them how often they've worked on the vehicle in question & what repairs were required & how often are those repairs required. The service requirements are the true tell-tell testimonies. A warranty is great...but its even better if you never have to use it: Down-time never comes at a good time!

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Wow, this thread sure got off track icon_biggrin.gif

My father-in-law has one of the second year Dodge Cummins Deisel's - man that thing has some torque! He pulls a 40 ft travel trailer with it - you forget it's back there!

One thing you might want to consider if you get one of these is a jake-brake to help use the engine to slow you down. This has come in very handy for him. Unfortunately, the thing wears (errodes) from the heat (the flapper valve) so it's a long term maintanence item.

Guest Anonymous

pparaska,

now that you mention it....

I forgot, we also had the dealer install the jake break, that thing is great too.... and the rhino lining icon_smile.gif

Kris

uh oh talking trucks...

well i have a F350 Superduty with the diesel.

when you buy your truck makes a difference (as to whats around) i bought mine in 99. while the straight 6 dodge may be the top motor is definitely not the top truck. in 99 ford was it. dodge finally has a 4 door now in a crew cab too.

GM didnt even offer a 4door till 2001? and no crewcab till now.

now for 2002 the GM "may" have finally caught the Ford. but Ford has kicked their ass for 3 years straight. i'd be leery of the new GM diesel- first year out issues with a all new setup.

perfect truck: ford SD chassis or GM with the ford extended mirrors- heated off a excursion. those GM new mirrors SUCK....with the cummins 6 and the allison 5 speed - but no one makes it!!!!!!

go to FORD-diesel.com or gm-diesel.com for all the truck info you could want excellent forum, the ford one had over 12000 users last time on for me.

while i'm not a gas fan. look at motorhomes. 95% are FORD v10, if the dodge was so great why doesntit have more market share there????

ok maybe its 90% ford and 10% GM but i didnt see one dodge MH when i was shopping for them last year.(stuff less than 3 years old)the new GM gasser is supposed to be good but same thing.. fords been stomping them since the triton came out and gm had a 3 year letdown...

FYI theres a new ford diesel coming out for 2003 or 2004? a smaller 6L . and since merecedes bought dodge i think cummings may get tossed for a merc diesel eventually.oh and the ford is to have a 5 spd auto soon too.....

Guest Locutus

GM has always offered a crew cab version of thier trucks. While mostly duelies, but there are a few that aren't. My dad has owned a few thru the years. A 87 crew cab, a 92, and his company is currently using a 98 and a 99 crew cab. Since my dads company uses alot of trucks on the job. He has several Fords, GMs, and one dodge. The dodge is in the shop the most. The fords are pretty tough but have had frequent transmission troubles. The GM mostly need just maintenance to keep pulling strong, but they tend to need a overhaul around 150K to 200K.

Mike

i forgot to state that part for GM- yes they had a crew cab but only duallys no regular box type that i know of, and NO diesel crews as they had no diesel motor..... (well no REAL diesel flamedevil.gif ) i have a friend who's a GM serice manager and he told me NOT to buy a GM diesel.... - i havent talked to him about the new duramax- i should get his opinion of it..but most people are leery of aluminum heads on a diesel...................

definitely the fords weak part is the tranny. i've had no problems with mine but others have. just get extended warranty if thats a issue. with diesels the powertrain has a 100k? warranty anyway but not for gassers.

i love my truck... only thing i would have changed is i SHOULD have bought the crew cab. i originally ordered the crew and changed my mind... bonk.gifbonk.gifbonk.gif figured i never have 4 people in the truck so why a crew... but now i would want it.

more room for the dog to go for "truck rides" icon_rolleyes.gif

My wife seems to want one of these for some reason. She saw a new ford with the suiside rear door and thought that would be just the thing for carting the children. icon_rolleyes.gif

When I wanted to learn how to weld a few years ago, i spent my days off at a shop that converted trucks from left to right hand drive. The were mostly G.M. and diesel. He was on of the few people who had the equipment to download fualts and a lot of these trucks came back. He has a great love of us cars and trucks but wont buy G.M. diesel. The fords are the only ones that come her already converted. There lies the easy answer.

Douglas

Guest Anonymous

Thought I would check-in its been a couple of days since my post. I forgot to mention the truck I was looking for is actually a van. Eyeballing a used 2001 E-350 with the V-10 for: general all around use, family, supplies, project cars etc.

I would be extremely interested on further feedback on transmission, E4OD problems/symptons so I can watch for potential problems upon my final inspection of the vehicle. I know early E4ODs pre 97 had big$$$ problems.

i had a 91 diesel with the same trans and no issues with it either.

i would suggest that once you find the van you want to take it to a "real" transimssion place and have them drop the pan and look inside it. they can do a air test and look inthe filter. $70 well spent before you buy it.