HybridZ

Confused about New/Old heads

I was been talking to a member of the group (gearhead240z) about some heads he has for sale for use in a buildup of and '89 305 TBI. They'd be prefect *but* for the fact that they're for the pre '88 motors. I've seen references in several places (both here and at the 3rd Gen board) that they don't swap properly because of the "angle of the intake". I've been comparing the manifold off my 305 to an aluminum manifold made in the '70s, and everything looks similar but for the angle of the four center bolts. This is mentioned briefly in the JTR Engine Swapping book, where they say that "You must grind of file the holes in the intake manifold so the bolts will line up properly." So here (at last) is my question: Can I do old gearhead and myself a favor and get these heads (and do a bit of machine work), or is there something else I'm missing?

Guest Locutus

JTR is right all you have to do is make the hole slightly larger to make a 87 up intake fit pre 87 heads. I have a TPI unit out of a 90 model camaro. I was orginally going to fit it to my engine as it was with late 70's smog heads. All the intake and water holes line up perfect as do the bolt holes that are in the front and the back. As you said before the 4 center ones are off by just a hair and the manifold has to be modified to fit different angle the bolts screw in at. It is nothing major and done all the time.

As far as a 305 is concerned I don't believe there is any difference between 305 intakes and 350 intakes. I was always taught they were interchangable.

Mike

[ October 11, 2001: Message edited by: Locutus ]