HybridZ

4.6 vs 5.0

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

what is better? I immagine that the 4.6 is lighter, quicker reving, more efficient, and has a higher red line. what is better in a datsun though? I have an 81 turbo, and am interested in putting a v-8 in, possibly blowing it. without a blower, what can I expect to get out of either engine with simple bolt ons. any kits for either on the install?

depends on money and mouthpiece. the 4.6 can be very potent, but for my ill take 5.0 pushrod over it any day of the week, it has thirty years of hot rod history behind it. im sure those more educated in ford will chime in, thats my two cents on that.

Hrm, for this swap go 5.0. 4.6 make lot's of power when done "right" but do you really want to replace rods and pistons to get serious power with a blower? Of the two major 4.6 engines the 4valve breathes better but it's MUCH bigger - I've posted measurements in the past. Parts aren't cheap either and they don't have a ton of torque. The DO rev like mad though which is a plus for our cars but not enough to overcome the 5.0 ease of install and parts availability.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do a mod motor at this time. Do the 5.0 or better yet a 351W. If you want to goto the toruble of a modular consider one of the turbo Nissan RB motors or a 2JZGTE Toyota. Probably about the same trouble and a stronger motor to start with.

Guest eric-z

I am rather young and am quite ignorant about cars (in just about every aspect, but trying to learn) but suppose that if in fact the 4.6L engine is quicker reving and and has a higher red line, wouldn't it gain a considerable amount of power by turbocharging which might be an option if your in to that kind of stuff.

Guest Anonymous

You'll have to build-up the 4.6 to run high turbo revs. The 5.0's are a dime a dozen and the parts are getting cheaper every day. If you have a free 4.6 lying around, give it a try. But for my money, more cubes and less expensive parts are the way to go. Esp. if you run at the higher rpms, things will eventually break. BTW you can get an 302 to rev pretty darn quickly too. Actually the bigger problem might be fitting a turbo on the V8 in a Z.

Just my opinion.

ditto, i like the 5.0 cars, not fast enough for me, but they do rev up quick and make nice power, and they are very comfortable, especially the drop tops with the booming systems in them, with flowmasters of course, man those things are fun cars, they whip the silliest doughnuts ever, almost as good as my firebird :D

Guest Anonymous

The 302 Ford crate motors are getting cheaper too. My brother just bought a 345hp 302 with aluminum GT40 heads for $2900.00 . That ain't bad, roller motor runs the E303 cam I believe. That motors going into a 64 Falcon Ranchero with factory 4sp, its gonna be FUN and I get to drive it. ;) Or as FL327 would say b_hand.gifb_hand.gifb_hand.gifb_hand.gif <- scared shift knobs... :D

I donno if I'd say they are'nt fast enough though, they had LOADS (better Davy? haha) of them down in Phoenix running 10-12 secs, lots of money in them I'm sure though.

Regards,

Lone

my buddy used to have a e303 cammed car, revs up fast, good for doughnuts and drifts and stuff, but he wasnt geared for it and he lost a lot of low end. fun car, drop top, cobra rims, stereo system from hell, swinging doughnuts with the music on full blast is a blast. 2900 is ok price,those motors are cool puke.gif

Guest tom sixbey

if i'm not mistaken, the DOHC 4.6 is considerably heavier than an aluminum head 5.0... at least that's what i was told by numerous sources.. - does anyone have the number on that? - i know for sure that an aluminum trimmed 5.0 weighs in at around 380 LBS...

The 4.6 is considerably heavier than even an all iron 5.0. I've got the fiqures at home, but its very heavy for the size. Also the rods are a lot longer (RL/S ratio in the neighborhood of 2.20 I think). anyway, not only is it heavier, but a lot wider too. Yes, if you want a technologically "newer" motor, the 4.6 is great, but for the real world, the 5.0 is too practical. It's a lot lighter, much smaller, and the R&D is at the peak of the curve for aftermarket parts. And mid to high 300's in the hp figures are not too hard to come by. Even the 351W I think is lighter than the 4.6, and is still smaller to boot.

Guest John Adkins

With all due respect, blueovalz (to me, you are THE Ford man around here smile.gif ), I wonder if the the mod motor's weight has been exaggerated....

I mean, when I talk to 5.0 mustang guys, they all say that the mod motor is much heavier than the 5.0, but according to all technical articles I've read on the web, it's supposed to be lighter... for example:

http://www.autosite.com/GARAGE/encyclop/ency19h.asp

this article says about the SOHC 4.6L:

"...at a svelte 457 lbs. saved 20 lbs (over the 5.0)..."

according to this list from various sources: http://www.241computers.com/ford/eweight.html

the 4.6 SOHC weighs somewhere between 437lbs without accessories to 530lbs (doesn't say so, but it sounds like that weight is with all accessories attached). The DOHC according to this list is "9lbs lighter than SOHC" at 464Lbs(??). According to this site, the 289-302 weighs 460lbs.....

Has anyone actually weighed a mod motor?

Guest Anonymous

I called the Ford Racing tech line and they told me a SOHC 4.6l out of a 2001 Mustang 5-speed weighes 529 lbs. This is with the intake manifold, clutch and water pump installed. If the engine was out of an automatic if would only weigh 495 lbs. because of the lighter flexplate.

According to Ford a long block 302 with GT-40 aluminum heads and water pump weighes 425 lbs. Add manifolds, carb and clutch to the 302 and the weight is almost equal.

The number I called was 810-468-1356, but I think the area code may have changed.

Hope this helps.

Guest tom sixbey

those six speeds are SOOOOO nice, but they weigh in at almost twice the weight of the tremec 5 speeds dont they? - i just cant justify that big of a weight gain in my car...

T56 is heavy but the Tremec 3550 5speed is a PIG! If anything th etwo transmissions weigh close to the same. Personally, I think the Supra transmission has them both beat. 5th gear is 1:1 and 6th is OD - I really like that! Not sure how well that would match up with the Z rear though to be honest. If anyone seriously considers the JZ swap I'll try to find out rear gear, tire height, and OD ratio info for you.

I weas pretty sure the 4.6 wasn't as heavy as the 5.0. It IS wider - somewhere hear I took a tape measure to one and posted the dimensions. My friend's shop ALWAYS has one or two sitting in crates or on stands smile.gif They make lot's of power supercharged etc. but you've got to replace rods and pistons to do it right. Then injectors etc etc. - for th emoney the JZ is a better swap IF it will fit.

As for the Shaun Hyland stuff - stay away. My friend's shop has had dealings with them - all of the 4.6 in this area are now loacally assembled. SH has some parts of interest I think but he's high priced and some of his parts have had less than optimum fitperformance. One of the racers up in NY is now sending his stuff down here to be machined and assembled too I believe - I'd have to verify that. My friend wrenchs on 4.6 motors all day long and the new Lightning 5.4s too - this is a good engine and he makes them sing but for the money and trouble I think the JZ makes more sense (shrug). The 4.6 is pretty wide too...

Price out a 4.6 built to say 500HP running a blower with rodspistons, port work, etc. Now price out a stock JZ block and turbo kit using a cast manifold from http://directedengineering.com/ HRM! Not sure it owuld fit though :(

Stay away from SupraStore! That's what I hear often whenever Supra parts come up. In a Z you wouldn't have to buy their specialized stuff anyway IMO. Things like intercoolers could easily be sourced elsewhere for instance. DO look into the AEM ECU for these cars - it looks pretty awesome.

There are lots of parts out for the 4.6. However I don't think you'll get as much power as easily. My cars has an exhaust, raised boost, and a K&N stuck on the end of th eintake hose. It made 390RWHP and 427ft lbs of torque. Very peaky but with a better intercooler and a boost controller as opposed to an open wastegate I'd have probably done better. Cam gears pick up about 15RWHP, intercooler supposedly 30RWHP. Tune the electronics and lose the MAF and you can gain 40RWHP. I've done NONE of that so far :D Single turbo puts you in the 500RWHP club on moderate boost - say 18lbs or less. Transmission is a 6speed with only 6th being an OD gear. Gear spacing with the Supra rear and tire height is AWESOME. NOT sure how well it would work out on a Z. So far as I'm concerned the Supra is the GN of the 90s! hail.gif