HybridZ

Questions for the Ford swappers

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've always wanted to build a mild 302, with a good set of heads,intake,carb,and exhaust. When I say good heads, I'm talking about aftermarket aluminum heads like Canfield, Edelbrock Performer RPM etc. I've never been quite "brave" enough to build such an engine because I've always been afraid that it wouldn't run too good. Is there anybody out there with a similar combo, that can tell me how it runs? I guess I need to mention that I will run a NOS cheater kit. I won't spray any more than a 175-200 hp shot. I'm a nitrous junkie, and I have a couple of pistons that will prove it ;) One more question. Is the u-joint for the steering something that I can get from Jeg's or Summit? Thanks guys.

Guest JAMIE T

Well, I've never put a 302 in a Zcar, but I have built my fair share of STOUT 302's for Mustangs. I combo like you described is enough to put a well prepared mustang into the low 12's on slicks. Oh, thats without the gas. I would expect a stout 302 is good for about high 11's without the juice in a Zcar. I'm putting a Very Stout 351W in my 240Z hopefully by winter. I'm building the chassis now. My engine came from my brothers Street Outlaw mustang, and has run 9.80's(with single stage of gas, it has a fogger and a plate) in his 3000lb 'stang. My car will be about 600lbs less than that. He had it set-up with a transbraked C4, I'm hooking it up with a Tremec 5spd. My rear will be a R230 from a Q45 Infiniti.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Jaimie, I know that some of the Mustangs are running low 11s and high 10s in the Real Street class (with power adders). I guess I could change the cam later if it doesn't run too good. The guys in RS have better engines, I'm hoping the weight will help me out. I'm putting the engine in a 77 280Z. Do you know any guys running in Super Street Outlaw? I live about 15-20 miles from Tim Lynch. He used to run SSO.

Guest Anonymous

Gator, I have a slightly warmed 302 roller, GT40x heads, E303 cam, performer rpm, demon carb, msd etc... the same set-up in a Hot Rod mag test made 377 flywheel hp. The engine pulled up to 7k without a whimper (though that was by mistake, opps).

I haven't taken it to the track yet but I'm expecting 12's on street tires. I love the way it runs, it's just too loud right now. I can imagine the thrust of nitrous!!!

Guest Anonymous

I may go with a retro-fit roller for mine, I really like the hydraulic roller cams. What mufflers do you have on your car?

I've got a fairly descent 302 (or had a descent 302) in my Z. With the old Ford "LeMans" cam, SVO J302 heads, and other nicities, it worked quite well. It's light, and with the set-up I had, created it's peak torque high enough up the rpm range that I didn't have to drive it out of a dead stop. You'll be happy with the 302. Currently I'm installing a 289 with a solid roller set-up. There's something about those high strung motors that I just love.

Guest Anonymous

Gator, I have a 16" Dynomax race bullet after the Y pipe, and a flowmaster delta flow in the stock location. I may try a dynomax straight through fiberglass in the future.

Guest JAMIE T

We ran the car here in the mid-atlantic. The farthest we traveled for races was to Maple Grove in PA, and as far south as Rockingham NC. We tried to make it to the Spring Break Shootout in Florida two years ago, but kept the car in the trailer due to a brokan transmission. We had Performance Automatics rebuild the trans at the track at Virginia Motorsports Park at a Fun Ford weekend. Shortly after that my brother parted the car so he could build a Factory Five Cobra. Of which he did not, since his wife was carrying another Taylor. Thats how I got the engine(I built it originally anyway). Its a full roller 351('69 block) with splayed main caps and Eagle rods and custom pistons. Its got Heavily worked Edelbrock Victor Jr. heads and intake, and a huge roller cam. And the gas hail.gifhail.gif

Guest Anonymous

I'm still trying to figure out what muffler I want to run on my Z. I'm putting the cart before the horse though smile.gif I should worry about the engine first! Jaimie, it sounds like you've got one heck of an engine! It should take a Z-car for a serious ride! I want to build something close to Jumbo's combo, and spray it. Blueovalz, what's the specs on the LeMans cam? Thanks guys

Guest Anonymous

Do a "search": Dan Juday has a unique muffler system setup in his project and also check the "Rio Vista" photos where many shots were taken of Zee bellys and the exhaust system and while you are on the Rio Vista thread check out Lone's Zee over by the tank with the "Fat Boy" Tomahawks