HybridZ

Ms1 misc o2 sensor

I just got my 280z l28et running with megasquirt (two80zforme's old z) and i have a narrow band hooked up currently but it only reads 14.6 and 14.7 all the time, or just 28 if i'm idling and its not doing anything. So it's clearly time for a wide band as i'm not happy with the tune just yet. I don't have a lot of money right now but was wondering if you could just a factory replacement o2 from an OBD2 vehicle and wire it up to megasquirt to do data logging? I've been trying to search and find answers on this topic and I'm sorry if this has been addressed and discussed already but i haven't heard anything about it. basically, if i just want the o2 for tuning purposes with megatune or tunerstudio, do i really need a 200 wide band kit? or can i wire a $45 b1s1 replacement o2 from a 96 or up vehicle which i can get wholesale from my work?

post-16978-076450000 1338056206_thumb.jpg

You can use a newer O2 sensor, the output will be the same as the older O2 sensors (transfer function), but will still be a narrow band O2 sensor.

The only cars that I know for sure that use WBO2 sensor from the OEM, are some late model Volkswagons (don't know exact models), and late model Honda Civic (2008 Si for sure, a friend of mine has one).

Regardless of what the original application was for the WBO2 sensor, you still need a controller for it, which is where the aftermarket WBO2 sensor controllers come into play.

For a few inexpensive WBO2 options look at 14point7.com, from basic controller, to extra inputs, to extra inputs with onboard datalogging. I use one (SLC_DIY v1) when I tune other people's vehicles. I have an LC1 in my car currently, that I will be replacing with a 14point7.com unit, most likely the SLC_DIY v2, when I get around to it.

Ok, that's what i wasn't sure about. some newer Toyotas and Lexus' list the front o2 as an air fuel ratio sensor so that's why i was wondering and the fact that they're 4 wire o2s rather then single wire. I guess i don't understand the controllers function which has made my digging a little difficult. thanks for the help!

Most of the newer cars have 2 or 4 02 sensors. The front sensors are now called Air/Fuel sensors and the rear sensors are the Heated oxygen sensors. They still do the same thing, Just changed the name.

I know for sure Volkswagen sensors work with the LC1 Controller, I bought one as a replacement when my first wide-band went out on me.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i ended up with an innovate brand new off ebay for 170. Sealed box and all. just got it today! came with gauge(which is the controller itself i believe?), sensor, cables, instructions, even a sticker and optional white gauge face. pretty pleased! its the 3844 mtx-afr guage kit. christmas in june!