HybridZ

302" weight versus Standard L6

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

So here is the scoop. I have a '75 Datsun 280Z that looks good but the perforamance is less than exciting. I know I need to do a few things to the suspension like replace the bushings wth poly, maybe the ball joints, etc. Overall it looks great: Timberwolf_1017109496.jpg

I, however, would like to do a little something more. A friend has a Ford 302 and a Chevy 350 in his garage, either he will give me. More than likely I will rebuild my choice. I am thinking of swapping it for the L6. Which will be closest to the weight of my Z? Which will be the easier swap? What transmission (5-speed) would I mount for each? Would this be a good time to do the AutoMeter guage upgrade? Wiring? Driveline? Will the steering rack clear the engine or must it be modified? What have I not thought of?

Good question, and welcome to the board. BTW, I like your turbo vent grafted into your hood.

What to do all depends on your personal ability and how resourceful you are. Are you mechanically inclined and do you have the time to scour the salvage yards on a weekly basis. If you are patient and know what you are looking for you can probably do the SBC swap in under 3K: but this is really being the junk yard dog as you have to get there before anyone else does and you have to have your money ready if/when you see a part you are looking for. The 3k doesnt include upgrades to your brakes, suspension, steering nor differential; which with the added power will eventually need for safety factors.

If you havent purchased the JTR manual yet then do so. I would advise you to purchase the manual prior to making any commitments on your car. If you dont have the manual yet then I will let you in on a secret (its not really a secret); if you use alluminum cyl.heads, alluminum intake manifold, an alluminum water pump and install your engine in the JTR set back manner you will have only gained about 120lbs to 150lbs. And the good news is this gained weight is actually behind the struts as opposed to the Inline 6 which is a big, beefy and bulky inliner which overhangs beyond the strut mounts. The problem w/incorporating all this alluminum onto your V8 is the cost is now no longer 3k and now has rising to the 5k figure as once the cast iron heads are removed you're gonna want to buy forged pistons and one upgrade leads to another, ect.

If you just want to put a V8 in your Z and are not really interested in all that alluminum; your 3k V8 power will more than out weigh any additional weight your swap adds in the conversion process. Besides, you can always add the alluminum stuff at a later date as your budget allows.

Get the manual; read it a few dozen times so you know what is needed prior to beginning your swap. You'll be glad you did.

BTW: there's nothing wrong with the SBF except its not as well documented and there doesnt appear to be a kit currently in existance. Whereas the SBC is well documented and you can purchase the hard to find parts in kit form from JTR among other aftermarket sources; if you were so inlclined.

Good luck and have fun; btw-did I mention you need to purchase the JTR manual?

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

The SBC will have more documentation on what to do verses the SBF. If you are a fabricator at heart, then it won't matter which you choose. As far as weight is concerned, the SBF very closely matches the L6 if you have the aluminum heads, intake, and water pump. I just weighed the 289 before installing it into the car today and it weighed 538 pounds WITH the T-5 tanny (clutch, PP, and flywheel too). This was a complete motor with the starter and PS pump, dry with no oil or water. The SBF is a little more compact than the SBC, and the T-5 is a good starting point for a transmission.

Guest Anonymous

Thats pretty light for sure. The Ford is indeed narrower by some 4" over the chevy, it is a tad longer overall though but with a long water pump on the chevy it just might be pretty close length wise.

Regards,

Lone

Guest scca

as terry said if you can fabricate then do the ford if not choose the chevy..

look at mine- there is a TON of room in the engine bay

Guest bobs302z

I just completed my swap (with a 302 ) Iweighted it before and after 2800 lbs before 2700lbs after lost weight going with 302 (has aluminum intake no aluminum heads yet). having fun with it every day .you can check out pic on http://members.shaw.ca/rguido/ go to family cars.