HybridZ

Advice: From Bad motor to a Junk Yard motor....

JSM

Anyway, I bought this 01 Lexus for $400:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/105988-advice-2001-lexus-es300/page__p__991530__fromsearch__1#entry991530

The motor turns out to have much more issues then I thought, specifically, cylinder #1 has zero compression and sludge.

So I got lucky and found a JY motor for $300 and it is VVTi which are next to impossible to find without paying $1300 and up.

My problem is I don't know the current internal condition and I don't want to rebuild it. I did a compression check by hand and got up to 50PSI on each cyl. I want to put all new gaskets, seals, timing belt, water pump, pulleys, etc and clean it up before putting it in but I'm having second thoughts.

I was considering leaving the JY motor "as is" put it in as it sits and put it all back together and see how it runs. Then pull it back out, do all the seals and all the PIA maintenance with the motor back out?

Thoughts?

Edited by JSM

Hmmmm.... I guess I could do just the rear main seal only that way I don't have to pull the motor out again.

Sorry for posting this here. The lexus forums seem far away from any logical thought! :blink:

Edited by JSM

I am sure you know how to gauge the problems with the car i.e. smashed body, or mechanical / electrical issues. And just by taking off the valve covers you can get a good idea of the condition. If there are any fluids left check them too. The lower rad hose usually has some fluid left in it.

Any way it sounds like you are looking for a pep talk. I say do some up keep gasket replacement and timing chain, water pump and rock it. What's the worse that could happen????

LOL, yeah I guess I am. I'm just not looking forward to all that is involved. I'd hate to spend 400 plus on all the needed parts to install them on a lemon motor.

I pulled the valve cover on the JY motor and it is clean as can be. These motors are known for sludge. There was a big law suit against Toyota.

If it were me I would do everything to the engine while its out of the car, So much easier that way. If the engine is bad, its not like you have to by all those parts over again. Rubber gaskets can be re-used, and you can use rtv to seal the water pump. Most newer engines use mostly rtv to seal them up anyway, Just don't go overboard with how much you use though.

I'm a Toyota tech.

I do t belts and water pumps in the car all the time.

I would put a rear main seal in it,and drop it in.

Everything else is easy enough to do in the car, IF NEEDED.

Check or replace the spark plugs in the rear bank before install.

90,000 mile interval,same as t belt.

Thanks Jasper. This motor I have has either 85k or 277k or some unknown. Under Bank1 valve cover is very clean though.

Hard part is while in the JY the motor rolled off the dolly and bent the snot out of the timing cover.

I'm also wanting to:

Replace Cam seals

Replace valve cover gaskets

Likely replace knock sensors

That center rubber coolant hose underneath the intake manifold

I'm wanting to re-use my existing engine harness. In order to unplug the knock sensors, do I have to remove the lower intake manifold to unplug them or do they plug into a sub-harness?

When I was speaking with another Toyota tech, he told me that normally on engine swaps the entire engine comes with a harness already on the motor.

Oddly enough after changing Z31 plugs, these plugs were a breeze to change.

Edited by JSM

I would use the original harness.

We NEVER replace knock sensors, they don't fail.

All rubber is a good idea. Use toyota hoses, they don't fail.

Toyota FIPG black, is a good sealer.

Make sure your crank bolt is tightned to spec.