HybridZ

Tire recommendations 17x9

I have 17x9 on front and 17x9.5 on rear. Current 245 all around. Car is forced induction ( 400+) and nothing but wheel spin in first and second and occasionally third. Going with Kumho v710. I would rather keep tires all the same for occasional rotation but someone suggested 275/40 in rear and 245/40 in front. Opinions? I know I would loose rotation for sure which decreases the tire life on an already expensive tire....

My research indicates the V710s last the longest of the DOT legal competition tires, but the Hankook z214 lasts longer than Hoosiers and is considerable cheaper and nearly as fast (some say faster). If you're spinning your tires a lot that's probly making them wear faster, you may be able to get more life out of a wider size if it slips less, and to a certain extent even if it doesn't. And you can always replace the rears only if they wear a lot faster. I still do like to be able to rotate them though.

When you're not in a power slide from all that boost how does the car handle, neutral, under-steer, over-steer? Wider tires in the back will affect the balance.

Street John primarily, It was intended for the track but have so much money into this already I don't think I have the balls to destroy it at the track, thats what my gixxer is for :) BTW, just got the OS Giken you sold to another member here thats proudly in my rearend now, I love it so far (besides tire spin 3:90 rearend)

Burniator, Car is still in the shop getting some other major tweaks with full suspension from ground control, techno toy and arizona z car and we are waiting to get the new tires before setting up the control arms, camber etc etc so can't really answer on the understeer or over steer yet. Shop wants to steer me into the Hancook rs3's...... If I can get 5 thousand miles out of the tires I will be happy if their glue to asphalt regardless of how I am driving it. Initially looking at Hoosier A6 but that may be overkill and hear you get 2-3 times wear with the Kumho's

Hankooks are less expensive and sure even the Kumhos are overkill for my application :)

J

Ride it hard and fast.......

post-3897-081271400 1340158280_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gixxer Squid

If your primary application is street then pretty much any "extreme performance" summer tire (hankook RS3s, dunlop star specs, kumho XSs, etc.) will do you just fine. Theyre great in the dry, reasonable in the wet (some better than others), and should last longer than r-comps.

Some may call it blastphemy, but if you are primarily street and you are having wheelspin issues at ~400rwhp, the Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial is available in 275/40-17. The handling is not nearly as bad as you would think, and you will not have wheelspin issues, probably not even in 1st gear.

The RS3's are a reasonable street tire that will take the heat of a track day.

I run R1R's because they don't need heat to work for autox but they overheat at track days and turn to gu.

I have been running 245/45/15's but am in the process of putting 17x8.5 all the way around right now. Fronts are easy but the room under the stock rear fender is touchy so I went with 235/45/17. 1 tenth difference in tread width but 4 tenths less section and height.

The JSK front hats fit great. Putting Superlites all the way around. Should be done tomorrow.