HybridZ

What are all these relays and do I need them?

Still trying to wire up my 280Z and it is pretty confusing. I asked a bunch of questions in the S30 section but no answers really. I have some new ones though and first off, what are all these relays in the picture?

For the combo switch, where does the White/Red switch go? I see it goes to some fusible links and then it gets confusing to me.

I see that ignition relays are pretty expensive online. Do I need one of these special relays or will my bosche style 40 amp one be good enough?

Is a transistor unit needed? Just asking because it didn't come with my EZ wiring kit

post-7714-040661700 1341638597_thumb.jpg

Sounds like a FSM would be a big help to you....they can be downloaded for free from XENON: "http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html"

The thick (12 ga, maybe?) red/white and all red wires are typically the main power lines in your harness. They serve as the main conduits between alternator, starter, battery, distributor; and feed the various power needs throughout your harness. A common upgrade is to replace the obsolete-design fusible links w/ modern-style heavy-duty fuses or circuit breakers.

Attached are a couple of excerpts from various years' FSMs for the interior relay bracket. Replacement OEM relays (both new and used) are widely available from various sources like vehicle part-outs and vendors like ZCarSource, Z Specialties, and MSA Auto.

Hope this helps.

post-4224-010521100 1341758977_thumb.gif

post-4224-032260200 1341758988_thumb.gif