HybridZ

Failing Stub Axle Video and another R200 question

duragg

Put my 240 on Jackstands today and while holding the brakes I applied power forwards and backwards.

You can hear a distinct Ping, or POP, as the power builds. I think this is the stub axle splines being trashed?

I already have new 27 splines ready to install with my new coilovers. This clinking has always been there with this car, despite replacing tranny, diffy, and halfshafts.

Next question:

1) The clip in side axles on the side of the R200, they click in positively. But I would not say they are extremely tight fit in the splines.

Seems like you can move them up and down just a hair. Are they supposed to be real tight in the splines of the R200? Or do they float some?

2) I have a vibration that is like a buzz that starts at maybe 40 and gets more and more with speed. I attribute this to my solid front diff mount which is going away next week.

Driveshaft balance help that too?

I am thinking the buzz is not half-shafts as they turn so much slower than the D/S (4.38 times slower I guess).

Thanks.

U-joint axles or CV? How old are the u-joints in your drive shaft?

Sounds a lot possibly a bad u-joint. They sometimes make noises like that before there is observable movement in them. If you have u-joints and you can get to the grease fitting, try squirting some grease in there and see if the noise changes at all...

U-joints, but I have swapped about 3 different half-shafts in, greeezed them and they sure feel perfectly tight.

No change with any of my different halfshafts

Just seems like the CLINK is closer to the hub which is why I suspected worn 25 spline stub axles.

What do the experts say about the feeling of the click-in side shafts in the R200?

Are they super-tight or have some ability to float?

Edited by duragg

Just a guess but I think it could apply - any chance that your diff and transmission shaft centerlines are not parallel? Misaligned. A common cause of speed-related vibration.

I've not measured the play in the R200 shafts but after working with several I've developed the opinion that the fit is kind of loose, and contributes to the remaining clunkiness of the Z drivetrains, in general. The splines on the R200s I have don't fit super-tight.

Once my new R/T mount arrives I will swap that and also have the D/S balanced and repaired if needed.

Will be replacing the Stub Axles when I swap into my coilover buildups so then will be able to dissect and see the splines on the old stubs in person.

Thanks for your feedback on the R200 side axles. .

TJ

Every spline in my driveline has a little play, so from the trans to the tires there is quite a bit of play as it adds up at each point. However, my driveline doesn't have that high pitched "crack" sound. Mine sounds more like a "clunk." I have had a driveshaft u-joint to sound like yours, that is all I was thinking. It was on a '56 Ford Fairlane. When I took out the u-joint, there was no grease in the cap and the needle bearings were crumbled into dust. Oddly enough, before disassembling I tried prying it around with a long screwdriver, but there was no observable play. Then, when I got it apart, it just fell into pieces.