HybridZ

Leaking Fuel Line (FI 1977 280Z)

Dear Hybrid Z,

Last night I tried starting my 1977 280 (FI), but the car wouldn't start. I shed some light onto the engine and noticed that one of fuel hoses were leaking. Now, I'm not an expert on these engines, but I believe it's the A Fuel Pipe to B Fuel Pipe Hose, right next to the pressure regulator. I took some pictures to demonstrate...

Here's my engine bay (prior to the problem) The red arrow shows where my problem currently exists -

002cfm.jpg

Here's some images of how it looks like now (Sorry for the darkness. I'll see if I can take better pics in the morning)

081i.png

083o.png

What would I do to fix this? What exactly is that part called? My apologies guys, I'm not really an expert on these things :/

It's a real pain in the bum because this Z is my daily driver. I'd really appreciate the help, especially since I don't know much about all of this...

Thanks everyone!

Edited by TheCrazySwede

• 3 weeks later...

i would start where the connection is and maybe trim the edges off the rubber hose and tighten it back up. if that didn't work i would just take that piece off all together and replace any auto parts store will have that little hose if you bring it to them. its probably quarter inch rubber fuel line. and if its on the metal fuel line. i would either find some sealant that could be used on the outside. for a quick fix maybe jb weld. and for a more permanent one i would just replace the section with rubber if you not doing a lot of high performance upgrades to it.

• 2 months later...

i would start where the connection is and maybe trim the edges off the rubber hose and tighten it back up. if that didn't work i would just take that piece off all together and replace any auto parts store will have that little hose if you bring it to them. its probably quarter inch rubber fuel line. and if its on the metal fuel line. i would either find some sealant that could be used on the outside. for a quick fix maybe jb weld. and for a more permanent one i would just replace the section with rubber if you not doing a lot of high performance upgrades to it.

I guess you want to see this guys car GO UP IN FLAMES! This is NOT a job for JB weld or ANY epoxy OR rubber fuel line. You can replace the fuel line section BUT it MUST be rated for fuel injection despite what others may think. Fuel injection fuel line is rated to handle the pressure. If it is the metal part of the line it probably would be best to replace the fuel rail or you may be able to have it BRAZED(after removal). You NEED to determine where the leak is 1st, best to remove the feed line for the cold start valve. Buy 2 ft of fuel injection line(bring the metal cold start valve L line with you to size it right) cut a 3" pc and plug(with short bolt)one end and clamp it then reattach it to CS valve feed and clamp it. Now restart the car and check for leaks, make sure the engine gets hot. If no further leak, replace ALL the small sections of fuel line and use NEW clamps. If leak still persists after plugging CS valve feed line PULL the fuel rail and replace it or have it refurbished. If you pull the rail consider replacing the injectors(they're almost IMPOSSIBLE to remove and reuse anyway) you can get an aftermarket set on Ebay for about $170 and they will work fine. GOOD LUCK! Hope you still have the car.