HybridZ

How much money is needed to start a V8 Project?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I haven't done it but I'll crack a shot at it. Here my list of things and approximate cost.

New crate engine......$2K

Trans.................$1K

JTR KIT...............$400

Bigger sway bars......$200

Drive Shaft work......$200

Diff..................$150 LSD ...$600

Openning the tunnel...$0 do it yourself

Frame work............$0 do it yourself

4pt cage..............$300 msa

Suspenion.............$1K

Less then 6K

Guest Anonymous

On the crate motor strategy, you're going to have to add much more. Crates are just long blocks some may have the intake on (alot of them don't), but you need intake, carb, waterpump, distributor, and a lot of other bits, starter and alternator, fan and radiator, relays and misc electrics.

I think if you have a good Z to start with, 6K will build a pretty nice car, not perfect, but a great driver. I wish I had found one that was better on the outside and interior, would have saved me alot of upcoming money. icon_rolleyes.gif

I would upgrade the brakes even if its only the simple toyota caliper swap.

Is the project done for 6k?.. Umm, depends I guess, but in my case I'd have to say not at all. Right now its only looking like double that amount. icon_rolleyes.gif

Regards,

Lone

I've found that it's not the big items that hit you in the pocket, it's the little things that add up, $50 here, $90 there....the small things add up quickly and you're budget's shot before you know it. Plan carefully!

Tim

Guest Anonymous

I find that deciding what you can live with for a final result directly dictates how much it will cost either now or over the long haul to achieve the end result desired.

Be realistic. There is always going to be something out there which is quicker, faster or handles better. Accept some limitations.

Cost guideline:

1. Horsepower costs: Every sizable increase in HP increases cost goemetrically. 350 is least expensive platform. Buying a complete used drivetrain from a rear drive V-8 car or truck can save a bunch. Carburate first, it is far cheaper.

2. Turbo 350 trans is probably the least expensive, reliable trans available. Add 1K to cost for 4 speed auto (converters are $$$)

3. Use your as equipped rear end until it wears out. N/C Defer the rear end swap for later.

4. Use 14" tires and wheels. They are many choices available and hopefully less expensive.

5. Consider used equipment. Many owners have upgraded for lots of reasons and have good stuff to sell.

6. Build your own mounts. It isn't difficult.

7. Do the mechanicals first, save the cosmetics and chrome for last.

8. Don't scrimp on cooling. Buy the best radiator you can find.

9. Build your exhaust to accept increased hp of the future. Costs very little more now, versus complete replacement later. Single exhaust works great and is cheaper and lighter.

10. Do put $$'s into good water pumps, battery,starter and alternator. OE Nissan internal reg unit makes for inexpensive upgrade from external volt reg type alt.

Bottom line, figure $5000.00 at a minimum to get a good result.

It also depends on what you are willing to "settle" with as far as parts and such go. The route i'm going, i bought a wrecked 69 chevy truck my neighbor has been restoring with a new motor and transmission for less than $500, and i'm hoping i can keep the rest of the cost below $800 or so, not including brake and suspension work, which i will handle slowly as budget permits.

Hrm, do you have the car yet? If not I'd buy the most rust free example I could find that had the nicest interior and best bodypaint. I'd look for MONTHS if that's what it took in order to find this. Every penny you don't have to spend on paint and rust repair is money saved - bodyworkpaint is expensive! Mine was $5K but many have done far better. Depends on where you live, your patience, and your willingness to travel to get a car.

Buy a running car if you can but obviously don't make it your primary car. Drive it while you gather parts. What's said above about the little parts is 100% correct. Things like engines and transmissions are big ticket but are fairly known costs going in. It's the $200 radiator, $50 fan, $100 distributor, $250 ignition, $35 shift knob, $50 clutch slave, and on and on that kill you.

One good idea might be to try and find a car that's already converted. Chances are very good that you'll have to redo some things, repair some things, and tinker with it but you'll be letting someone else take the financial hit. Watch E-Bay, our ForSale board, Zcar's board, and any others you can find including the Want Ad, Auto Trader and others. This ASSumes you've not already got a car icon_smile.gif

Oh, and get the JTR book first and foremost. Then get the JEGs and Summit catalogs. Make lists of parts, ask questions, and make sure you understand things before you start. Nothing worse than getting halfway through and giving up...

Guest Anonymous

I haven't bought one yet but I did buy the JTR manual as well as a few other books on how to build Chevy engines. I am going this weekend to check out 2 Zs. It would be nice to get one already converted though!

Like BLKMGK said, get the best, most rust free Z available because you will be money ahead. I made the mistake (as did he) of getting a Z with substantial rust, and both of us sold the cars at a loss later on when we discovered how bad the problem really was. A V8 engine will crack rusty metal very quickly. The better (nicer, rust free) the car, the stronger the chassis. Good luck!

Davy