HybridZ

8.8 indy diff

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello everyone, I'm new here, but I have been monitoring the site for a long time. I was wondering if anyone has tried to convert a Z to Fords 8.8 indy suspension, or a least the diff and cv-axles.

If this "Indy" rear end is similar to the typical current Ford IRS, then I can say that I've compared dimensions of the ford assembly to hypothetical pick-up points on the Z for the subframe and I've found that the Ford unit is a bit too wide for installation by the typical Hybrider. If I knew I was going to attempt this kind of swap from the get-go, then perhaps the job would not be so intimidating as far as the size difference goes. The 240SX or last generation 300ZX assembly is closer in size to the Z than the Ford unit is.

The cobra boys use them quite a bit, center section, half shafts and uprights from a

T-Bird supercoupe. Supposedly the ones with a driver side cv-shaft diameter of 1.2" are the strongest. Factory Five Racing (cobras) has an option for the T-Bird rear that comes with shortened cv-shafts or Moser Engineering will shorten and re-spline for $100. I believe? FFR has a turbo 5.0 running in the 10's with that rear. I like all the ratios and lsd choices for that one.

Guest Anonymous

My dad has a cobra with the sc rear end with shortened shafts it works well It stands up to a 429scj. I dont think the 8.8 in the sc is limited slip so a person should check when buying one . dad had to put it in after.