HybridZ

Swapping from an auto to a manual tranny.

racer_z

Got a friend with a 1971 240Z that has an auto tranny. He is wanting to upgrade to an triple Mikuni carbed L28 and a 5 speed manual. How involved is the process of swapping from the auto to the manual? He also has another 1971 240Z that is a parts car and a 1983 280ZX as a parts car as well. I am sure there are some HybridZ owners on here who have made this swap, if so please chime in on this please. The swap should be relatively easy and straightforward right? What all parts are needed? Thanks for the help guys and gals.

In my opinion, the hardest part is removing the dash and putting the pedal assembly in. You need the pedal set, Clutch cylinder and line, tranny, clutch slave, shifter, shift boot (inner and outer), tranny crossmember and driveshaft.

@ Bernardd-

I am sure he would be more than willing to see some parts go to another Z owner rather than throwing them out. Heck he still has the original intake and SU carbs from my 1970 Z as well as a 1975 L28 that was given to me. And he has a 1983 L28 Turbo motor He bought before he ever even owned a Z. What parts are you interested in?

@ Bernardd,

The Auto console, linkages, shifter, etc are in near perfect shape (For a 40 year old vehicle). The car was driven into the garage under its own power, and we have not currently removed anything related to the tranny yet, we have only removed the engine. I will talk to Steve later this evening and see what he says about the parts, and I will get back to you tomorrow.