HybridZ

Bumper Dent Removal

gravityflyer

Hi all,

Found a guy who lives nearby willing to part with 240z bumpers for a great price. Both are in decent shape. The only drawback is a slight dent in the front bumper, right at the front tip.

zbumper.jpg

I assume this is a relatively easy fix -- I would guess the process would be to anneal the dent with a propane torch, followed by some carefully placed smacks with a rubber hammer? If so, what sort of 'backing' would you recommend I use under the dent when pounding it out? Or does the fact that the dent is on the tip increase the difficulty level of the project for a novice like myself? It may be difficult to get a precise strike with a hammer and I might need a metal block as an extension of some sort to get into the crevice. Meanwhile, after removing the bumper guards I anticipate that I can weld the holes shut for a smooth look. Lastly, re-chroming would be the final necessary step. Any thoughts on whether this would be a viable project / purchase would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx!

In the past I've used my metal hammer, driving into the end grain of a 2x4 with another 2x4 as the buck or backing. Since you're in Syracuse, you could simply take the bumpers to Sandy's and have them take care of it for you. Last time I priced their work [about 3 years ago] they were getting about $350 per bumper to straighten [mild work], fill holes from the rubber and bumperettes & rechrome. I had them rechrome a few fuel door latches for me and they are stunning.

Shoot me an email if you need any help or parts as I get to Syracuse every couple of months to visit family. I'm also down at Watkins Glen running with the BMW club this coming Wed-Thurs if you're interested in a ride-a-long...

Oh, and welcome to HybridZ!

palermodavid13@gmail dot com

Edited by 1 tuff z

In the past I've used my metal hammer, driving into the end grain of a 2x4 with another 2x4 as the buck or backing. Since you're in Syracuse, you could simply take the bumpers to Sandy's and have them take care of it for you. Last time I priced their work [about 3 years ago] they were getting about $350 per bumper to straighten [mild work], fill holes from the rubber and bumperettes & rechrome. I had them rechrome a few fuel door latches for me and they are stunning.

Shoot me an email if you need any help or parts as I get to Syracuse every couple of months to visit family. I'm also down at Watkins Glen running with the BMW club this coming Wed-Thurs if you're interested in a ride-a-long...

Oh, and welcome to HybridZ!

palermodavid13@gmail dot com

Thanks Dave! Actually, I think we met at the Z show in Webster last month. :D I'll drop you an email now...

Pretty much what 1 tuff Z said. Just try to not bring out the metal too far. If you lay a flexible ruler across the surface you will be able to see the natural curve and if you need to tap it in or out to be on the same plane. Generally, any chrome place worth their salt will be very good at getting the part straight before they chrome and using layers of copper like bondo to smooth the surface.