HybridZ

Oil ejected from breathers

coupe72001

Hi all,

My catch can doesn't catch any oil, instead it gushes oil from its filter when the car is revved hard.

Both the rocker cover and the crank case breathers are plumbed with nice fat pipe to the catch can. The catch can has a small pod style filter on top. Oil goes everywhere around the engine bay and NONE is retained in the can, so it's being ejected from the engine with some serious pressure.

I have an L28 block, N42 head, stock nissan flat tops, mild cam grind, all other standard internals, standard bore - honed clean but no excess taken off, fresh bearings, rings and gaskets throughout. The car has extractors and triple Dell'Ortos. Head cleaned up and rebuilt, new valves throughout. Tappet/lash pad clearances all correct.

There's nothing really fancy or unusual with the engine, and it doesn't haemorrhage oil from anywhere else. Anyone know why it's so keen to purge it's oil all over the shop?

It goes and sounds great otherwise, which is nice.

Cheers,

Drew

In the head cover, you should have a screen to avoid liquid oil to go thru breather hole. Check out your head cover and see if you have this screen.

Same goes for the block, there's a grid mesh + a metal sheet screen to avoid liquid projection to go thru the breather hole also.

So only fumes should escape from your engine.

For your reference, I've got filters on both breathers and they are nearly dry on my freshly rebuilt engine (F54/P79, flat tops, turbo oil pump) so you have something not working properly on your setup.

I would:

1- check first the head cover

2- unplug hose from head cover at catch can, plug it to a plastic soda bottle, plug catch can input & run the car to see if oil is coming from top end.

3- reproduce step 2 but on hose coming from block to inspect bottom end.

if issue is coming from step 2, act on the head cover (you have spotted it in step 1 already)

if it is coming from step 3, you might have to drop the pan to inspect the block from below which will be a pain since you also have the cross member in front of it...

I would also think twice about your setup (that I don't know), don't you have too much oil pressure for instance with tuned pump? Special tricks done to it such as block deburred internally, crankshaft work, etc.?

Most likely, you've missed something during engine rebuild. I would bet on mesh & screen inside block ;)

Edited by Lazeum

Hi Lazeum,

Thanks for the suggestions. I definitely remember the mesh filter for the block - I put it there! Ill check my rocker cover for the other filter.

I did have the block dipped and cleaned, but not deburred. The crank was polished and balanced, but is still the original size - no material taken off. The oil pump is a stock 280zx pump... but maybe it is worn and allowing excess oil to pass through it!

Anyway, Ill do your diagnostic tests and find which breather is ejecting all that oil to start with.

Thanks again,

D

That's good already if you know the mesh filter is in place :)

What kind of oil do you have in your motor? if nothing is wrong, I'm wondering if you could have some much oil fumes that it spurrs out from the catch can. That would be a lot.