HybridZ

Quick question on rod/ piston fitment (L24/RB)

Kash

Will the L24 rods fit the RB26dett pistons with no modification? Per the engine calculator, the piston end bores are the same (21) but the piston end thicknesses are different between the L24 rods (25.4) and the RB rods (21.8). Not certain what the piston end thickness is…is this the piston clearance needed to fit the rods? If so, I will assume that the L24 rods would not fit the RB26 pistons. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Lost my oversized (89mm) block to cracks so now I need a set of 86mm turbo pistons to reassemble with my LD28 crank and stock block...the OEM turbo pistons won't work, they will be protruding 2mm above deck with the stroker crank. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this:

2rf4fq1.jpg

Which means you could mill the underside of the RB26 piston to fit the wider L24 rod. Although, for what its worth, all the Datsun pistons and rods I have put together, even with the KA24 piston on an L24 rod, it still had side to side play. Like a lot. Probably 1/8" on either side of the rod when installed on the piston.

24kxqgg.jpg

Edited by josh817

I'd rather mill a piston so you don't lose cross-sectional area on the rod.

Just my uneducated mentality on the matter, rods crack and can break, the underside of pistons usually don't get ripped out. I've never had either so again... I wouldn't REALLY know. All the rods that broke in the british motors I have seen my dad tear down have been a few inches below the small end of the rod anyway. Never seen a broken small end. :bonk: