HybridZ

Clutch slipping

Hi there,

I've got a 73 240Z running an L28ET (P90 head and stock turbo cam) with aftermarket computer controlling spark and fuel.

My best time last year at the strip was a 13.9 but this year my times have been terrible in the 16s. The only thing that's different from last years set up is an S14 tranny as opposed to an S130 one, a quaife ATB and due to lower profile rear tyres an overall gear ratio of 3.7 as opposed to 3.54. So I would expect my times to improve not to get worse... :o

My clutch has remained the same it's an ACT Clutch rated at 410ft/lbs, I've hardly done that many miles on it less than 2000 approx.

I dynoed the car last year and she was putting out 290hp and 328ft/lb of torque, with the same clutch.

What I experienced at the strip was the following, she would get to 5,000 revs and would just stay there, my foot would be completely off the clutch pedal (I wasn't riding it) and fully down on the gas but the revs wouldn't rise. At the end of the run there was a really strong smell of burnt clutch.

I'm finding it hard to believe that my clutch is slipping due to the power I'm producing as it's rated for much more torque then what what I'm producing. Could the clutch be slipping due to an electrical/ECU problem? Or does this just sound like a bad clutch?

Thanks!

Edited by 24OZ

That doesn't sound like a slipping clutch. A slipping clutch would let the engine rev, but the car won't keep accelerating.

Does it ever go above 5000rpm? Maybe your brake fluid is cooking and locking up the brakes, but that's a SWAG. Maybe you're smelling burnt brake.

I could feel the car not accelerating but the revs were stuck at 5000rpm

The smell afterwards was definitely a burnt clutch smell.

It can go above 5,000rpm, and I did when I changed gear. I really want to get to the bottom of this.

Push the arm near the slave back in toward the slave.

If you get no movement and it seems tight, then something is not dimensionally correct.

If you do get movement, then your clutch is not up to it.

A clutch, when slipped hard on a launch, can fade just like brakes do at high temperature.