HybridZ

Need help selecting NEW CLUTCH

I replaced the 7/8" defective Tilton master cylinder with a new 1" Tilton master cylinder and I think my problem is solved. Car is shifting really slick-ly. I haven't tried it at 6,000rpm because I haven't logged the recommended 500 miles of easy driving for breaking in the clutch. That will be a better test than the driveway test (it always passes that one). One thing that is cool about this ceramic clutch is that I can HEAR when it starts to engage. But the true test is no shift refusals at 6k rpm. Drove car for about 4 hours today of mixed driving styles from city to highway and it was just great. I'm so very happy.

I DO want to shim this thing to improve my pedal/clutch engagement position. I have some ordered. What thickness did you use? My clutch provider insists that I shouldn't need a shim, but I do. Thanks so much for your help/advice.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great! Thank you. I saw this as well. I'm all about ls1tech since you first put me onto them. I have some shims on order from another company, but I like the Tick product that you show better. I'm actually gonna make my own if I can-gotta go to Walmart and get a compass for drawing the circles. Gonna use some 1/8" aluminum plate I have laying around and be done with it. I'm gonna try to do 2 half circles so that I can install this thru my inspection hole without pulling the whole tranny out again. May not be possible, but I'm gonna try. I saved my old slave for mock-up. There is a limit to how much I can shim because of the recess in the slave is needed to keep the thowout bearing aligned concentric with the shaft. I hope to shiim it such that the slave is at a minimum volume in the relaxed position so that I run less risk of overextending (the factory didn't give us much margin).

Got 6 hours of mixed driving done this weekend and I'm calling the clutch adequately broken in. Ripped a 1-2-3 run in a school parking lot and the shifting was smooth as silk. Gotta go to a football game this weekend, but I'm hoping to post a new timeslip the weekend after that. SUNNY, is the Monster stage 3 clutch disc that you are running a spring plate or a solid, inflexible plate? Mine is a spring plate with organic on the pressure plate side and ceramic on the flywheel side. It has had smooth engagement from the outset. I'm already used to the stiffness of the 1" master cylinder - not an issue.

Edited by RebekahsZ

Climbed under car and did some measuring while looking thru my bellhousing inspection hole. Blowing off the shim and declaring the clutch FIXED (shim will be too damn much work, and clutch is disengaging fine. 1" master was required with 100% of the adjustment rod and 100% of the pedal throw. Disengages fullly about 2 inches above the floor; no leaks to indicate overestension of slave; TOB moves about 5/8 inch starting 1/8" from full compresson of slave cylinder. Looking at my old slave, there should be a full inch to max extension. Gonna keep daily driving and fine-tuning the adjustment and hoping to hit the strip in two weeks. Will provide a full report based on performance at strip.

Edited by RebekahsZ

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the sound seems to come and go-that is the worst it has ever been/not like that today. I think it is from the clutch fingers on the throwout bearing. There is plenty of grease on the throw out bearing and on the slave housing. The clutch came with a little tube of grease for the splines on the input shaft, which I used sparingly.